how do i stop my 2 year old from sucking his thumb

my son is sucking his thumb so much that he is sucking it raw.

shanakina09

Asked by shanakina09 at 2:08 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest sucked his thumb until he was 7 or 8 years old. My dh & I would tell him to stop--all of the time. We finally got to the point that we made him sit on his hand. He would only suck it when he was sitting down in the car or watching TV. We tried everything and that was the only thing that seemed to help. It was a long and slow process that we worked on during the day & into the evening. He was the one to decide that he wanted to quit sucking his thumb. His one complaint was that his thumb would sneak into his mouth about the time that he was falling asleep. He even put a glove on that hand to help him stop. Sometimes, I would go in & find that he had pulled it off & that pesky thumb was in his mouth. I made sure to always pull it out. This is a habit that is difficult for any child to quit & frustrating for the parents, too. Good luck;-)
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• good luck with that!! My dd sucked her thumb until she was 7, the only reason she finally quit was, she got that thumb smashed in a door, we took her to the ER, they said it wasn't broken, but put a brace thing on it and said to use it for about 4-5 days, I used it longer! It helped her get used to not sucking her thumb. After a couple weeks she's ask for the brace at night, because she couldn't help herself when she was sleeping. It worked....but because she wanted to stop.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Honestly, you really shouldn't force a child to stop sucking their thumb. I know it sounds crazy, but thumb sucking is a comfort mechanism. It's too bad he does it so hard it is making his thumb raw...have you tried putting some healing ointment on his thumb? The taste might make it yucky to suck his thumb, and it would let it heal.
    My sisters and I all sucked our thumbs for a long time, with no bad side effects. We just eventually gave it up. It might take a while though.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 10:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2009