Why do so many Americans seem to no longer want their Constitutional rights?

As a military wife i am saddend by some of the questions and answers i see here. I honestly have never been very patriotic myself, but I'm still damn happy that I have things such as freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom to peaceably assemble, freedom to bare arms (which we actually own none!) ect ect.

If anything, i'd like to see MORE rights given to us. In california it's illegal to smoke in restraunts. ...well, shouldnt that be the owners choice? And vaccines, ...i dont care if you are anti vaccine or pro vaccine, the government regulations on that are sickening (i'd like to point out here that i am NOT anti-vaccine)

Do you value YOUR Constitutional (and other freedom) rights?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am almost at the breaking point myself.... If the government makes one more decision in "my best interest" I'm going to snap. Federal government has no business being in my lungs, my uterus, or my gun safe and they had better remember that. I pay them to build schools, roads, defend my boarders, and provide health care to the elderly and the very young, but not to decide which of my "habits" are sins and need taxed.

I don't have a blank check to use when my bills are higher than my income, and they shouldn't either. Note to Congress: LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS! The rest of us have to!!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:57 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• A lot of people don't understand what their constitutional right are and what they mean for everyone. A little more education might help, but for most people - they can't appreciate what they have lost until it's gone.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 4:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• It should be illegal to smoke in all restaurants. Yes, you have the right to smoke, but not the right to harm others.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 7:56 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The government represents all of us. Do whatever you want with your lungs, uterus and gun, as long as it doesn't interfere with my lungs, uterus or life.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 8:02 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• IMO~It would take something drastic... Like a sweeping third party movement (ie: Libertarian) to make the much needed stand and true CHANGE that this nation needs. However too many are entitled, dependent, and engulfed in the bureaucracy~that they won't give up their individual dependence for the greater good of America.  That would require people to be held accountable and to be responsible!  Too many want to be NEITHER....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:08 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I agree with Grandmarga.
    Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 8:40 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

Well, if it's an owners choice to make his establishment smoking, then no one is forcing you to go in are they? If i don't like my neighbors smoking, I don't go into their home and then bitch about my rights as an american. That is their property, their rights. Same as the resturant OWNER. No one is forcing you to go in someone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The majority of people have no idea what their rights are, nor do they care. They're too busy watching reality tv.

I actually had someone tell me that I was infringing on her Constitutional rights when the corporate chain restaurant I managed went non smoking.

what about my right not to breathe that crap?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Here in Virginia it will be enforced in 2010 that there will be no smoking in resturants unless it is closed off with a seperate ventilation system and enterance. Of course that would cost an arm and a leg to do so most will go non-smoking. But most resturants are already non smoking. I'm all for family resturants being non-smoking but not resturants that are affiliated with a sports bar or bar in general. We don't frequent those kinds of resturants anyway. The government is the way it is because of the individuals the AMERICAN PEOPLE put in that office. If we want change we have to change who is in congress and who is in the White House. I also think that many people have been brainwashed to think that eliminating those constitutional rights will eliminate the crime and make this country a better place. Well sorry to say but we will be just like China where they tell us how many kids we can have and what to do.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 9:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

If you OWN the restaurant the choice should be YOURS just as it should be YOUR choice to not go to that restaurant.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:41 AM on Jul. 12, 2009