Has anyone had their tonsils and uvula removed?

I have a mild case of sleep apnea and am VERY EAGER to have surgery to end the SNORING. But yesterday, my dentist advised against having my uvula removed because she said liquid will now come out of my nose all the time. My ENT said nothing about that.....has anyone had any experience with this surgery? I am thinking about just getting the tonsils out instead of both...

TLALONDE16

Asked by TLALONDE16 at 4:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Health

• Nope. Just my tonsils and adenoids. Very very painful. But u get to eat ice cream and popcycles for a long time lol. Isn't that the dangling thing at the back of your throat? I've always wondered what that was for. Besides making cool noises with it when u were a kid lol
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 4:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I had my tonsils and adniods out when I was seven.... over 15 years ago! All I remember, my throat was sore, i was out of school and got lots and LOTS of popsicles whenever I needed them. I couldn't eat my mothers birthday cake or valentines day candy.... and my youngest brother was jealous and pushed me off the bed which made everything worse!
    Not much help, I know! I also remember the dreams and such when I was put under more than anything....
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Your doctor is right. I would not have the uvula taken out unless it was an extreme case. You will experience much more flow, and possibly a lot more sinus-related infections and illnesses. Try a CPAP machine for the sleep apnea (and snoring!) if it is bothersome. My DH has that and his nights are much quieter now :) Your tonsils are your body's last defense against germs that can enter your lungs, and after you get your tonsils taken out you will notice a lot more upper respiratory infections than before. Most people only get their adenoids and tonsils taken out if they have an infection that spreads to the tonsils and they won't quit swelling. I've never heard of them being taken out for mild apnea or snoring. Be careful, you could be trading a mild problem (although an irritating one!) for much more serious health risks!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 8:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The only treatment that is 100% effective for sleep apnea is the cPap machine.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I'd be scared to remove the gag reflex. It would be much easier for you to choke as well as all the things others have listed.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 12, 2009