How do I help my sons constipation.

I recently just started giving my son single grain cereal mixed with breast milk. After four days I went back to just breastmilk because he was so constipated and when he had a bowl movement it was so hard and there was blood in it. I have been giving him prune juice but it does not seem to be working.

mamajen624

Asked by mamajen624 at 5:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always gave mine a teaspoon of karo syrup mixed with their milk.
    Kathy-PSPR

Answer by Kathy-PSPR at 5:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• You can get these fiber gummies at target they are made by Fleet and they are called pedia lax. They have a few products, and if he starts to poop and is having a hard time you can give him a liquid glycerin suppository.

ajnattysmommy

Answer by ajnattysmommy at 5:49 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The best thing is to just nurse as much as possible. Your milk is a natural laxative.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 9:33 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Stop giving the solids and nurse like crazy. In a couple weeks attempt solids again if you like (and if your kiddo is really old enough) but I wouldnt go back to the grains or anything iron fortified. Bananas and avocados are really great first foods!!

People really need to stop recommeneding Karo Syrup. The makers themselves say to never give it to an infant because it carries a risk for botulism just like honey does. It's outdated and possibly dangerous advice.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:52 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I'd continue to nurse on demand, and def. no solids right now. Give it a few days to work out of his system. Was this every bowel movement, or just one? How long ago, and how long ago did you stop the solids?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 12, 2009