Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tire blew and had small wreck in yard, what to do?

SO my front passenger tire blew out as I was pulling into the driveway and I lost control of the van. I ended up hitting a bush in front of my neighbors house, no damage to the bush but the front of my van looks bad. Well not really bad, the light is broken and theres a dent in the bumper in the front corner. Do I need to call the police since its just my van damaged? Neighbors bush is just fine. I do need to file insurance to get it fixed, not sure how I'll pay the deductible but still...I was told just to call the insurance company...anyone know?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • If you want it fixed(the dent) then call the insurance but your deductable may be more then getting the light fixed(which you will need to do) As for the cops..not sure about that. good luck

    Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 7:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • yeah thinking I should just take it to get a estimate of the damage first then decide whether to call insurance about it, we have a $500 deductible and it COULD be about that in work, I dunno

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • hm..actually im not sure since it wasnt with a the insurance company and check with them first

    Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • I would definitely get the estimate first, then decide whether to call the insurance. As for the police, if there was no damage to any of your neighbor's property, I don't think you need to call the police. No one was hurt, it was only your vehicle, nothing really for them to do, and the police report is generally just for the insurance company anyway. Oh, and that's the other thing: keep in mind if you report this, it will raise your rates. You might not want to report it to them regardless of the cost, depending on your past history. Just something else to think about.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 7:56 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • I would be calling to have a family member fix it before hubby gets home

    Answer by whistlemom3 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • You must file a claim with the insurance company and notify your neighbor (if they don't already know). Your insurance company will pay for any damages to their yard and your vehicle. You will have to pay the deductible. It's a hard pill to swallow, but this is your best route to take, especially to avoid a lawsuit by your neighbor later. Don't delay. Insurance is designed to protect you. In this case, it is very wise to use it.

    Answer by hopelessnance at 1:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • Theres NO damage at all to the neighbors yard at visable anything I was going maybe 15 MPH if that when I hit the bush, its just fine in fact theres NO evidence that I even hit it, I told the neighbor and she laughed and said well that sucks, bush looks fine and if it didn't I'd just pull it..I don't care.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.