Tire blew and had small wreck in yard, what to do?

SO my front passenger tire blew out as I was pulling into the driveway and I lost control of the van. I ended up hitting a bush in front of my neighbors house, no damage to the bush but the front of my van looks bad. Well not really bad, the light is broken and theres a dent in the bumper in the front corner. Do I need to call the police since its just my van damaged? Neighbors bush is just fine. I do need to file insurance to get it fixed, not sure how I'll pay the deductible but still...I was told just to call the insurance company...anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you want it fixed(the dent) then call the insurance but your deductable may be more then getting the light fixed(which you will need to do) As for the cops..not sure about that. good luck
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 7:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• yeah thinking I should just take it to get a estimate of the damage first then decide whether to call insurance about it, we have a $500 deductible and it COULD be about that in work, I dunno
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• hm..actually im not sure since it wasnt with a car....call the insurance company and check with them first
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I would definitely get the estimate first, then decide whether to call the insurance. As for the police, if there was no damage to any of your neighbor's property, I don't think you need to call the police. No one was hurt, it was only your vehicle, nothing really for them to do, and the police report is generally just for the insurance company anyway. Oh, and that's the other thing: keep in mind if you report this, it will raise your rates. You might not want to report it to them regardless of the cost, depending on your past history. Just something else to think about.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:56 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I would be calling to have a family member fix it before hubby gets home
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• You must file a claim with the insurance company and notify your neighbor (if they don't already know). Your insurance company will pay for any damages to their yard and your vehicle. You will have to pay the deductible. It's a hard pill to swallow, but this is your best route to take, especially to avoid a lawsuit by your neighbor later. Don't delay. Insurance is designed to protect you. In this case, it is very wise to use it.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Theres NO damage at all to the neighbors yard at all...no visable anything I was going maybe 15 MPH if that when I hit the bush, its just fine in fact theres NO evidence that I even hit it, I told the neighbor and she laughed and said well that sucks, bush looks fine and if it didn't I'd just pull it..I don't care.
    Anonymous