Rearfacing carseats and airconditioning flow -- any tips for maximizing it? I don't want to turn our seat around as my little girl is tiny, but she is getting very hot and sweaty. Thanks!

How can I get the most airconditioning to my daughter, who is in a rear-facing Britax Marathon. And protect her from direct sunlight too -- those shades don't seem to do much. Any tips would be great. She's two, but very small, 32 inches and 24 lbs.

Asked by nell_brinkley at 11:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Travel

• Maybe try one of those small battery operated fans that clip on to things and direct it so the fan will blow on her. Make sure she isn't over dressed. You could even try a cool pak in the fridge, wrap it in a receiving blanket and slide it under her bum in the seat.

Answer by Eliza34 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I had this same problem with the kids I hate to be hot so it bothered me more than the kids I think lol!! anyway, I was able to purchase a fan that worked with my cigarette lighter I bought it at Walmart for like 22.00 I didn't put it directly on the baby but I put it close. Also you can start your car and let it cool before leaving as well. And I always would bring my carseat in the house that way it wasn't hot from sitting in the car. good luck!

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 12:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Firstly make sure that the back window is sufficently tinted and or shaded. I like the little fan suggestion too. I remember having this problem too only I didn't have ANY a/c in my car with my first child.

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 5:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• If there is anyway for you to start the car up before putting her in. Point your air vents upward and put a towel in the seat to cover it from the sun (of course, remove it before putting her in it!). There is a "cool cover" that you can lay in the seat to keep the seat nice and cool so maybe doing something like that will keep her cool until your vehicle cools off.

Answer by CarSeatJunkie at 8:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• i didn't know your baby girl was that small! anyway- my tip would be to hire a cabana boy to sit in the backseat with her to fan her. :-D
    Lovely advice from a fellow NEPA/ZAP Member!

Answer by john2007 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2008