When do you think this will happen?

I was thinking the other day and realized that, on a social spectrum, the US population has a tendency to swing between liberal and conservative. For example, late 19th century (VERY conservative, sociologically speaking) to the 1920's (pretty liberal, remember the flappers?) back to conservative (WW2) then liberal (the 40's, when everyone cheered organized crime). Then the conservative 1950's (every woman stayed home) to the 60's and 70's (hippies), etc. etc. So now we're entering a liberal phase (save the planet, save the world) - do you think we'll swing back in another ten years or so?

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 8:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• YEP! Every decade or so, people need to be reminded that the "utopic" world they are seeking (either side of the spectrum) isn't all that it's cracked up to be, and we swing back to the other side!

I just hope this time around, that we haven't swung so far to the left, that we cannot get back to at least the center of the political spectrum!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:19 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Yes. But if not careful and vigilent, one side can take it to an extreme... Especially when they have complete control of the Federal Government (Whitehouse and Congress)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• So grlygrlz since the dems have more control of the federal government and congress if it were the other way around the same thing could be said if we conservatives had complete control? ie the White House and Congress.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Anon, Yes it could. Which is why I said "one side can take it too extremes" in my answer... lol... silly anons..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Most people are moderate.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:09 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I agree with Grace, most people are moderate. I also agree with Grlygrlz, it's not really good when any one side gets too much power.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:15 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I actually think this is already happening- I've seen a couple of studies that say the number of people who call themselves conservative is climbing since Jan.

Don't ask me to post a link
    Please, I can't on this thing. The studies will come up with google.
    Also, the pendulum will continue swing faster and furthur in each direction due to media, etc, and the constant stream of information/ opinions the public is exposed to.

The uneducated majority will continue to swing to the opposite party when things aren't going the way they would like, rather than work to fix the problem.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The country is moderate which is why OBamas extremism will and is failing.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:20 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Yeah what you all said lol
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 10:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Even though I am liberal I do agree that in the next decade things are bound to become more conservative. The balance between the two is what keeps us going.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 12, 2009