How do I get a scrapbook started?

I am wanting to do a scrapbook starting with my oldest with all of his pics (he's 8) with some good layouts but I don't know where to start. I have some supplies and good ideas but it never seems to work out like I want it to on the finished product.

Renee74

Asked by Renee74 at 8:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would google to get some good ideas then head over to your local craft shop (Michaels or Jo anns) :) you can also make a walgreens account and upload your pictures for them to print its only 15cents a picture

Have fun!
    pixiestixz2626

Answer by pixiestixz2626 at 8:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I would buy a complete "Scrapbook Starter Kit" I like the one's Michael's Craft Stores sell. They have EVERYTHING you'll need--including an idea book. I made scrapbooks for each of my children chronicling their 1st year...month to month from my baby shower/final stage of pregnancy including ultrasound pics, and baby name ideas we had, and a letter each of us wrote regarding our impending parenthood, to their first birthdays, and every month/holiday in between.

I then selected a "theme" for each month/holiday and selected 3-5 pictures that captured the moment the best, and added handwritten captions and cute "thought bubbles."  I also made pockets on some pages for keeping special cards and small momentos--like our hospital bands, poems, newborn accessories, etc.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I selected a large background page (12x12"), and then made coordinating "frames" using related papers, in layers. You can buy decorative scissors to make scalloped edges.

The key is to highlight the moments that gave YOU the greatest joy regarding your child--their smile, their outfits, their cute toes, bellybutton, etc. Whatever makes you think back to those happy moments that you never want to forget, and can share with others (including your child) when they are much older.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:57 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I also have supplies but haven't started my child's scrapbook, yet. i have made a great one once before though. i think the key is to get a lot of different sizes, shapes, and colors so you can make whole pages per theme of certain photos. you also get a better eye for it as you go along so sometimes it helps to think of a couple ideas and set them each up, then pick the best to actually glue down. and honestly, it doesn't have to be perfect. the beautiful photos speak for themselves. you're just giving them a creative page to be on because you care and no1's going to judge you too harshly for that.
    iamhome

Answer by iamhome at 7:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• If you have digital photographs and a computer you can easily create scrapbook pages online and then have them printed.
    Patty_WAHM

Answer by Patty_WAHM at 3:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Orgainze the pics into the pages you want to do. You can do a theme book or chronicle each year. Ot just speical occasions. I have a general one for my son and then one just for baseball pictures. I also made one for my dad and mom with pics of them and my son together. Join a scraping group and most of them will be happy to help you out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• If you have an AC MOORE store near you, they have a scrapbook section. Lots of pretty paper and colorful pens etc. If i could afford to i'd probably would spend $200 at that store at one time. They have a whole isle of picture frames too.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2009