• In the Spotlight:

At what age did you switch your child to a toddler bed?

My daughter is 9 months old, I was given a toddler bed. She only has a playpen and no crib.

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We didn't use a toddler bed but switched right to a twin bed. I switched them when they started climbing out of the crib. For the older it was when he was about 2 1/2 because his brother was on the way and I didn't want him to think his brother had kicked him out of the crib. For the younger boy, he started climbing out at about 2, so I moved him then.

Answer by Bmat at 8:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• my son was in a toddler bed by the time he was about 10 months lol even with the crib mattress lowered all the way he still broke out
    so instead of him falling to the floor i put him in a toddler bed lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My oldest was almost 3 and my little one was barely 2. Mine never tried to escape the crib. We bought my oldest a racecar toddler bed. Thankfully we are getting our money's worth cause my youngest is using it now! My boys are tiny so it takes them a while to outgrow it lol
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 8:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My son switched to bed around 14 months. But if you can do it earlier and still get them to stay in it for the night then go for it. Maybe a baby gate at the door or something, just to get them safe in the middle of the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• 13 months
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My daughter was 18 months, she never slept in her crib she always slept in my bed but she still gets out of her bed and climbs into mine.
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 9:01 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• 12 months for both into a twin or full size bed.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 9:14 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My 26 month-old is still in her crib, so her little sister (10 months) is still in her pack n' play. They both sleep great with this arrangement, so I don't see any reason to mess with it. That would be my advice... wait until there's a reason to switch, i.e. your baby exceeds the weight limits or climbs out.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My 2 boys left our bed and went to their own beds at 5 and 3. And only because I was so big with my daughter none of the 4 of us could sleep comfortably anymore. We never did the crib or toddler bed thing.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My daughter climbed out of her crib at about 18 months. We didn't have a toddler bed, just a twin bed in storage for her. So, we put the mattress on the floor and that was that. When she was 2 1/2 we moved to a new house and put up the bed frame so her mattress was "high up in the sky" and she loved it.
    Jodi_A

Answer by Jodi_A at 9:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2009