What do u think is too old to breast feed?

When did you stop?
And how longi s too long?
I'm planning on doing it for 3 months, 6 MAX.

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 8:39 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, the World Health Organization recommends bf'ing for a minimum of two years, and then as long afterwards as mom and baby both desire. The health benefits of bf'ing continue for as long as the baby nurses. I think when to stop is a personal decision, but I also think that believing a 3 month old is 'too old' to bf flies in the face of medical logic.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The longer the better (to a certain extent).

6 months is better than 3 months. 1 year is much better than 6 months. 2 years is much better than 1 year, and after that - it stays heathy to be breastfeeding until they wean themself.

Personally, I wouldn't breastfeed for any less than 2 years (as recommended my the world health organization).

But, 6 months seems such a small amount of time to breastfeed - and hopefully you'll change your mind and continue on longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I agree with the first reply. I think the child is too old when he/she loses the sucking reflex. It is different for each child. My oldest was done just before his second birthday. My goal with my second is at least two years and however long he needs after that.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 9:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I think it's too old when mom and child no longer want to continue.

I stopped at 13.5 mos with my first, who weaned I believe due to my pregnancy, since it was very out of character for her. My son is 23 mos and is still nursing.

Too long is when a child is being forced.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Let me start out by saying "Congratulations!!!" on your decision to breastfeed! You really are giving baby the best start. I am wondering why you set these particular time limits to breastfeeding? American Acadamy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months, and then adding foods with breastmilk until 12 months. At that time you can begin whole milk with foods. As stated earlier, WHO recommends breastfeeding for 2 years.
    Deciding when the "stop date" shall be is a very personal decision. The longer you breastfeed during the first year, the better, and if you continue to breastfeed past the first birthday that is commendable.

I wish you the best of luck on your breastfeeding journey!!
    ~amiee
    amieeos

Answer by amieeos at 10:49 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The World Health Organization recomends until AT LEAST 2 years of age. I still breastfeed my almost 2 year old atleast once a day. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I breastfed my son until he was 14 months old and then he self weaned (he was only nursing in the morning anyway by that point). I am hoping to nurse my next one for as long or longer. I think I would start to think about weaning after my child turned 3, but since I haven't had the opportunity, I really couldn't say. A couple of years ago I thought 1 year was plenty and now I'm up to three years!! So that may change, I really couldn't say.

YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 11:28 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Its up to you and baby! I stopped at 3 weeks but wish I had did for at least 6 months maybe longer. Then again I had twins and while I was breastfeeding them they lost over a pound in two weeks so I had to stop.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 12:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• 2 years?! What about 8 years minimum! As recommended by the latest WHO report.
    Anonymous

• everyone is different.

#1 QUIT (she stopped cold turkey) at 9 months
    #2 had a severe case of croup and quit cold turkey on me at 5 months

#3 we had a mutual decision to quit at 12 months.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2009