What age do you think it too old to breastfeed?

When did you stop?
And how longi s too long?
I'm planning on doing it for 3 months, 6 MAX.

What about these people that do it past 2 years old?
I mean up to 8!

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 8:40 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Aged 2 and aged 8 are very different things.

The natural age of weaning biologically is between 2.5 and 4.5 years - occasionally you get children who don't wean themselves after 4.5 years, but that is rare.

My own daughter is almost 2 and still nursing. That is the norm for my family.

My mother breastfed all her 5 children - each of us weaned ourselves between 2.5 and 3 years.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I breastfed both my boys up until a year, most places will say 2 years. I think it's a personal decision in many ways, ie your body, your kids, your choice.
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 8:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• That's a very personal choice, and every mom is different. I plan on breastfeeding (FTM here! 37 weeks :) until my baby is 2 years old, bc 1) I can and 2) bc I think it is the healthiest choice. I've had a lot of people laugh at me or give me strange looks when I say 2 years though; its like they think its weird that I would want to do it for that long, but I say as long as baby and momma are happy.. who cares?? I personally know a woman who BF though till the child hit kindergarten, and I think that may be a bit over the top, but once again, not my child, not my boobs, not my issue!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• 7 months was what worked for Isabel and me

When I was in the hospital having her nurses asked if I was going to breast fed,
    I said that I was going to try, but I had no plans either way
    Some nurses seemed surprised that I had not made a firm decision either way, It is not like you can compare it to anything else you have never done,I mean how do you know until you try it.
    Whatever works for you and your baby
    Do not let others make you feel bad (and some people will try) when they express their opinions as facts that "YOU SHOULD DO IT THIS LONG"

it is not a competition.

but on the other hand...those moms that you see on odd you tube videos that breast feed for 8 years, well they must think that it is a competition, I guess they win (however I think that their child loses)
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Well the WHO and AAP recommend exclusive for 6 months and then supplementing with food until AT LEAST 2 years. My first weaned while I was pregnant with #2 and he was 18 months old. He only weaned due to pregnancy and would have continued had it not been for that. My second is 25 months and still going strong and I have no plans to wean her anytime soon. If left to their own devices children naturally wean between 2 and 5 years old age. It is always nutritionally good for them and personally I don't think it is bad in any other way like some people do, but to each thier own.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:27 AM on Jul. 12, 2009