Do you think this is unrealistic??

So in the spring i am going to start college for nursing mostly because it pays well, it's recession proof (for now) and it doesn't take very long to complete. But part of me wants to bite the bullet and maybe major in pre med and eventually become a pediatrician. I have always had a strong apetite for sciences and have always wanted to be some kind of doctor when i was a teen i wanted to be a neuropsychologist. Problem is that alot of times i will start something and not finish and 8 years is a long time. But i cant stop thinking about it. It would be an incredibly rewarding career so the 8 years seems worth it, I am only 24 so it's not like i will be 40 before i start my career. And I have been going through alot of changes as I have entered adulthood so I do feel like i can do it and my heart is in it. But than it again it kind of feels like i am reaching for the stars.

jenniamigo

Asked by jenniamigo at 9:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• GO AHEAD!! DO IT!! I think it is great your thinking like this, I too wish to be a nurse.. but unlike you it is my passion nothing to do with the money. but I am a chicken ass to go bad to school. I am almost 30!!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Just think......where will you be in 8 years if you don't do it? You'll be 32 either way. You can have a very successful (personally successful) career, or you could still be thinking about starting school.
    I think you have a wonderful plan in place.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:58 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• If you are committed to it then you CAN do it. The key words are drive, motivation, and committment. Without those then you may not succeed, especially if you start believing the worst in the future outcome.

I wish you all the best, I truly do, in whatever you decide. I am passionate about the medical field and I always love to see that passion in others in whatever field they choose.

{{{Hugs}}}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I say go for it but if you worried about the years how about a nurse practishinor (I can't spell at all). You don't have to go to school quite as long and you get to do just about everything a doctor does.

But way to go I think it's a great idea.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• You sound just like me! I've wanted to be a doctor since I was about 7 years old. I'm currently doing LPN and then switching over to get my RN and then I'm going to medical school. My real desire is to be a direct entry midwife but they don't get paid enough.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• you can go for nursing to get your career up and running, and then start college for pre-med using most of your credits from nursing.. that way it's a win win..

I was going for teaching, but am taking a year off for cosmo. so I can get a job in 8-9 months from when I start, that pays better than any job around here without a degree in college. This way I'm not overly struggling with my bills and school.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:51 AM on Jul. 12, 2009