Dogs won't eat! New puppy

I have 2 dogs. 1 chocolate lab and a miniature schnauzer. The lab is almost 2, the schnauzer is about 3. We just got a new miniature schnauzer puppy about 2 weeks ago. She is 9 weeks old. They like her and they all play well together. The problem is that my older dogs don't want to eat their food anymore. Especially my lab, I have never seen him leave food in his bowl. Now i can feed him and there is still food left the next day. The problem is, they want puppy food. They will try to sneak and eat hers. I have tried to put some puppy food on top of their food, but they will just eat the puppy food off the top. What do i do? Puppy food is just not good for adult dogs to eat all the time right?

MissAlisabeth

Asked by MissAlisabeth at 9:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Pets

• I have 3 dogs also...they came in stages. You have to respect #1 dog first, then #2 dog. Don't change their habits. Feed #1 in his spot first always. Then #2. Puppy last. I have a Lab also that will eat anything, so I have to stand and watch until their done eating. Then I have to send the Lab into the other room, otherwise he'll hover to intimidate the pup (10 months old), and gobble his food too. Don't allow them to eat Pup chow. They're animals....they won't go for long without eating. They're just giving you and attitude.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:06 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Eirelass is correct. Never give things to try to entice them to eat unless thier sick. Right now they got a taste of the puppy food which is higher in fat content so it smells and tastes better to them.
    Put their food down for 15 minutes making sure none try to steal each others food. Then pick it up after 15 mins. Do not offer food again until the next meal time. They will eat their food once they find they cannot get the puppys food.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Puppy food is actually not necessary to give. It has more protein and other ingredients than a puppy even needs which can lead to weight problems and other health issues in the future. Age specific food is mostly a marketing ploy by the food companies and can cause the pup to grow too fast and cause joint problems. I'd go ahead and just start feeding the pup regular food as soon as you finish up your current bag.
    Anonymous