how do i know when my daughter is telling the truth or lying

she is 4and half years old very inteligent,a bit cunning

oise

Asked by oise at 10:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You don't..Until you find out later she lied about it..That goes for all ages..Especially teens

Answer by louise2 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My daughter just turned 5. I've had this issue a few times. I try to teach her that when she tells me the truth, out of appreciation for getting the truth, i go easy on her. But when she lies she getting punished, usually about a 5 minute time out. For now it works for about half the time. I'm hoping that when she gets older she will be able to tell me anything and everything. Which , I think is the best relationship a mother can have with her children. The more you know about their lives the better protection you can give them. Just keep the explaination simple for now. Like, "well if you told me the truth, i wouldn't be as upset with you." " it makes me more upset because you lied about it. " Thats what i tell my daughter, and for me, its true. Good Luck at this interesting age.... :P
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• You get to know your kid. My daughter has telltale signs as to when she is lying. My son on the other hand whose 5 is actually getting pretty good at it which scares me. Also you know your child so you know what they are likely to do and I use that to make them believe that mommy is all knowing and powerful. My sonsays mommy you don't magic but he's not too sure about it b/c I can call their name from across the house and tell them to stop doing something and it freaks them out.
    Sometimes I get it wrong -- which is seriously tarnishing my "Mom as goddess" routine but I'm ight more often than not. Another thing I do is kinda believe them but trip them up later and then when I catch the lie they are in 2x as much trouble as before.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:33 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• simply, look your child in the eyes, and ask " are you telling me the truth?" or " Are you sure?" if she is lying she will look away, laugh, or get upset, if she is being honest, she will look straight at you, and say " yes mommy"
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 11:57 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Have a talk with her and explain about honesty and how important it is that she tell the truth. Read her books about it to help her comprehend http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=18

Then, do as psychobilly mom suggested (post above) look in eyes, remind her about your conversation about honesty and then ask if she is telling truth.  If you know that she is not, have a consequence ready.   

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2009