Why do people assume....

that only Christians now anything about the bible? I know there are several people who are non-Chrsitians who have either read the bible at one time because they were Christian or they have it because they wanted to study it. So, why is it a generally held belief that only Chrisitians know about the bible? Wouldn't it be interesting to see an "outsiders" view?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I always find it funny that people are Athiest, will argue the whole thing in and out, yet have never read the Bible. What is it they're arguing about?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• ...People are ignorant?
    rlemde

Answer by rlemde at 10:43 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Because people's brains are wired to assume things based on passed experience. Why do people assume that reading the bible means knowing what it says? It's as much a work of art as it is a work of literature - and it, like so much else, requires interpretation, preferably from those who have studied not only the bible, but the history of it as well, along with the cultural influences, etc.. Reading does not necessarily mean knowing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Most atheists are former believers of one stripe or another so we are very familiar with the Bible. I myself have read it from front to back more than once. I own 7 Bibles...of differing versions. I also have several Bible study books. Being raised as a conservative, I'm VERY aware of what's in the Bible. What always strikes me as funny is when an atheist brings up a contradiction or a not-to-nice part of the Bible only to be told we are 'interpreting' it wrong or we just don't/can't 'understand'...like it's written in some sort of foreign language now that I'm an atheist. LOL!
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 10:57 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I have met many atheist who never believed in God. I have also met many Christians that grew up without an influence of God in their life and found Jesus as they grew older.

I have seen very few people who think ONLY Christians know about the bible. But I will tell you one thing, it is impossible for you to believe, understand and reference the bible the way I do if you are not Christian.

No, I don't want an outsiders view, I am secure enough in my faith, my own mind and my own beliefs I am not going to ask a person who doesn't believe in the Word for an interpretation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• because it calls us fools for not following the bible.. and people take that to heart, and believe we are fools..
    in truth.. open-minded christians don't condemn, or call names, or much less care how we feel..
    close-minded Christians do, and they condemn.. it's funny, they are the ones that say they know the bible in and out, but continually judge, condemn, name call, etc.. which are just as much a sin as we are committing by not following.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• But I will tell you one thing, it is impossible for you to believe, understand and reference the bible the way I do if you are not Christian.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

So, are you implying that the minute I crossed over to atheism a switch went off in my head that erased all my evangelical upbringing and understanding of the Bible? LOL! That's just ridiculous.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• "No, I don't want an outsiders view, I am secure enough in my faith, my own mind and my own beliefs I am not going to ask a person who doesn't believe in the Word for an interpretation. "

i'd have to agree, somewhat. the bible is as much a book of history/moral-ethical living as it is prophetic. its the use of morals/ethics and prophecy that i don't need an 'outsider' interpreting it for me, or telling me what they think it says/means. an 'outsider's' reasoning is not relevant to a believer. but by all means, let's talk history/recorded data!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:41 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Roman 2:1You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things2Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment? 4Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Because I think people just assume that if you know anything about the bible it will make you believe. So if you have read it or know anything about it you MUST be a believer... I have read it, 8 times cover to cover... Nope, not a believer!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2009