Why do our fish keep dying?

I bought fish from petco and walmart...they all have died!! I do everything I'm suppose to do like.....change water, filter, feed them and test it! What's the best fish I can get that will live long...? Thanks! oh-we have a 8 gallon tank.

Mumjen2

Asked by Mumjen2 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Pets

• Its impossible to answer with out more detail. My suggestion is to join a fish forum and give them the peramiters of your tank and the type of fish your buying. fyi, most walmart fish die. They don't keep their tanks very clean. I'm not sure if Petco is the same way. But if you see dead fish in a tank thats obviously been there a long time don't buy anything from that tank. Its best to pay higher prices for a store that keeps their tanks clean and healthy.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:42 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Have you taken a water sample to Petco and had them check it? How long do you usually have the fish before they die? I had that happen to me before and did all the testing. I ended up taking some of the water that the fish were in to Petco and found out ther was still some chlorine in the water (I think that's what it was) so I ended up buying the fish the distilled water from Walmart. Since it was only 78 cents a bottle it didn't cost that much.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• try a beta!! the naturally live in these tiny puddles in asia or some crap... they're really pretty and dont need much space or food at all to live. down side is that they will eat any fish u put in with them so they have to live alone.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 10:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I don't know but that kitty in your picture looks pretty guilty
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I agree with gottalovemal. A betta fish is so easy to take care of. One warning though is don't overfeed them! I overfed the one we have now and exploded his swim bladder. He doesn't have any balance now and can't really swim. He mostly floats at the top or hangs out in his plant.

I use a bit of tap water conditioner, Betta fix, crystal clear, aquarisol, and some aquarium salt in the water, and the water stays clean and the fish stay alive for a long time. And they love live plants, especially java ferns. You can get them for $3 at Petsmart and they last as long as the fish does.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I can't speak for all Wal-Mart's, but the our does not have any healthy fish. That is the last place I would buy fish. We even had issues with some PetSmart fish.

Have your water tested. Make sure your water is the right temperature for the kind of fish you have. Don't overfeed them. Keep the tank clean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Yeah, Walmart fish suck. Get guppies, they seem to last awhile too. But make sure if you get males, that they're not actually females. I got male guppies from Pet World a few times, and BOTH times I ended up with baby guppies a few days later. I was like, are you kidding me?
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 1:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I think it might be the water...I should have bought the bottle water! Thanks ladies!
    Mumjen2

Answer by Mumjen2 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Plain old Goldfish work best for us. And maybe you need to change the pH level in the water.. Do you use a filter on your faucet or buy the bottled water?? Give the water a chance to readjust before you add any new fish to the tank. Good Luck
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Wal-mart fish die within a week.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2009