Husband's job

My husband had his second heat stroke on June 15th. Last week (Wednesday) he called me and asked me to set up an appointment for him because his asthma was bothering him. When he went to his dr appt the next morning the doctor told him not to go back to work for a couple days and that he could go back yesterday(Saturday). When he went back the foreman started jumping his ass bc he didnt have release letter from the hospital. No one ever told him he had to have it. So he called the hospital to have the dr send one. Anytime he would call the secretary to see if she got it, she wouldnt answer her phone. He called their foreman and he said that he would call my husband when they got it. Last night around 7pm he tried calling their foreman to see if he had heard anything and NO ONE was answering their phones; boss, secretary and foreman were all ignoring them. Idk what he should do. He told me that if he didnt hear anything (cont.

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 10:40 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• today that he was going to go to the job site and gather up all o his tools. He is in the process of trying to find another job but i personally dont think it is very respectful of everone to ignore his phone calls, especially when the foreman calls the secrtary and she tells him that my husband has been calling. Any ideas on what he should do? He's sitting in Manhattan right now waiting on a phone call but i have a feelng he wont get one today.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 10:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• IMO...It is only common sense that you need to get a Doctors note when you go to the doctor and you have to be off work for a certain amount of days. All the jobs I have had made us do that.

he should wait to quite this job tell he has another one..Unless you have a good paying job that can pay all the bills tell he find another job.

Answer by louise2 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Do YOU have a job that can support you and your family? Because I think it would be really unreasonable to quit a job because of a mistake he made. Maybe no one is in the office until Monday? Have him try to call all day Monday but I dont see a purpose to quit a job over that. Plus it wouldnt look good on his apps for other jobs. "Why did you quit your previous job?" "Ohhh because no one would answer my phone calls" So start showing up in person if they dont answer your phone calls. I'm saying this because if its your only resorce for income you really dont want to screw it up over a Release form!!!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 12:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The rules should be stated clearly in the employee handbook. It has been my (HR) experience that most employees don't read the handbook. If this rule is not clearly stated, then he can file with the state department of labor for unpaid wages.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• angieluv: he ca't just go into the office because the office is 2 hours away from their job site and the office is always open on Saturdays. He got a call from his foreman saying that the secretary never checked the fax machine like she said she would and she had got it yesterday afternoon around 2.

rkoloms: he never received a hanbook from the boss. i dont think they even have a handbook.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 5:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2009