refusing formula

my son is almost 8 months old and he has started to refuse formula. he pushes his bottle away and if he does take some its only a few ounces at a time. he takes a sippy with juice/water, but when i put formula in it he also pushes it away. its like he suddenly doesn't like the taste anymore. is there anything i can put in it to give it a different taste or something? or any ideas on how to get him to drink it. hes down to 14 ounces a day, from 24. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could try a different brand.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:01 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The other foods and drink are probably supplementing his diet. When my son started eating more solids, his formula intake went down. Also, you might try taking away the juice for now. I can't say I would blame him for preferring the sweet taste of juice to formula.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 11:08 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• he has been on solids for a while now, and i havent increased his solid intake.
    and i thought about trying a different brand but i have two big containers of his formula left, and formula is too expensive to waste, although thats what i have been doing everytime i dump it down the drain, yuck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Cut back on his solids! I had the same problem with one of my twins. She was only getting around 12 ounces a day! We stopped giving her all solids until she was back up to 36 ounces a day. WE brought back solids but in small amounts and its gone down to 30 ounces a day. Formula really should be the number 1 thing. If my girls aren't drinking their bottles well, they dont get solids. Your baby doesnt NEED solids until he is 1. Right now its all just practice, but he NEEDS enough formula, so cut back and he'll have no choice but to drink his formula. Worked for us.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 12:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• If he's eating regular food (table food) it's okay for him to start cutting down.

However, he should still be taking about 24oz. I would cut out the juice and water. And since he's taking it in a sippy, put his formula in the sippy and get rid of the bottle! (it's harder to get rid of the bottle later when it becomes a habit!) Cutting out the juice and replacing it with formula will give him a few more ounces a day.

Don't change brands at this stage. There's no point to it and it might upset his stomach a little.

Start working on more table foods....he can get nutrition from those now, too!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2009