How do you motivate yourself?

Ive been telling myself for months now that my weight is out of control and to just get off my lazy ass and join a gym. Thing is, I never do. I mean, I need to loose weight. Its not that I'm unhealthy. I don't have diabetes or high blood pressure or anything like that. But I'd love to be able to wear form fitting cloths again. I think it would improve my chances of TTC and improve things in the bedroom. But I'm self conscious of working out in front of others. I just cant seem to take the right steps and stick to them.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 11:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• you can find different ways to work out at home on the internet if your too worried about the gym. I just work out at home. when i get up in the morning i set a goal to work out at like 10 and i go work out in the living room. learn to control your portions and eat healthier. its easy as you get use to it..... i always thought if i could sit down and watch tv i can work out. now i work out almost everyday and really learned how to control my portions. Really you shouldnt worry what other people think atleast you are trying to make that difference!
    luckyhart

Answer by luckyhart at 9:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• self concious of working out in front of others?? thats silly. alot of the people at the gym are probably overweight still, or were overweight or have the same goal of being healthy and fit like you do and could care less how you look while your working out. i was 60 pounds overweight and i joined the gym and i lost it all and never felt better in my life. you should find a gym with classes like cardio kickboxing, body sculpting, yoga or spin classes. believe, you will love it!! and then use the machines & tredmills too. the hardest part is actually getting up, going to the gym, and starting. but once you start to see the fat melt off of you and mentally you feel amazing, you will be addicted. try giving yourself a goal amount of pounds you want to loose, and dont stop until your done.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:31 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Don't forget your local YMCA. My daughter is a member there (for free right now while her hubby is debployed). I love my gym. We have loads of classes to take, a pool and indoor track, AND a womans area.

I never look at the heavier people and think anything other than for one second which is "wow, good for them to be here!" I'll likely never talk to them, be their friend, so no reason to judge them. I'm too worried about my own workout to think about the others, EXCEPT when miss ta-taa is working overtime to show hers. THEN, I can't help but look again and again thinking "Man, it must suck to be her and not have anyone who loves those at home. She has to come here and be admired!" LOL

To keep motivated to work out, get up every morning and put your sneakers and work out clothes on. You'll be more likely to stay on your feet and moving. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Life there is no ymca here. I live in Rural Ky area. We have a snap fitness and thats about it. I've walked passed there and I see these huge buff guys working out there. Not a place I'd feel very comfortable in. THe only other place we have in town is curves. Which is too expensive for me.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• This is what I did. I INDULGED in fitness and healthy living. I subscribed to the magazines, and if I was online, I'd read about different ways to cut calories and burn fat. Read up on tons of articles. I joined the "Work It out Sexy Mama" group here and looked at their AWESOME pics for motivation.

I also bought things that were too small. I bought the cutest size 6 jeans when I was a size 9. Tore off the tags so I knew I had to lose weight or waste money...and I did.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i have the same problem. and i really hate alot of excersize...my bff got me 2 walk at home dvd's...it's "full body" walking...and i LOVE it. i do 2-3 miles a day in my living room, and i started noticing the improvements fast. check out walkathome.com leslie sansome is the creator ans she makes it so much fun.
    i use "walk away your hips and thighs" "walk away your waistline" "walk and tone" and am a huge fan of her "walk boosters" like her toning walk belt and the toning leg bands...seriously, try one of her workouts, i was amazed at the changes i saw in my body from just walking...i get her dvds for everyone i know now
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2009