When is a fever serious?

My dd who will be turning 2 this month has had a fever since Friday morning...she still has it today (sunday) ...and it goes down once she is given medicine. I called the dr. Friday and she said not to be concerned if it goes down after given medicine...but this is day 3!!!!! Her symptoms are pretty fine...there is nothing else wrong with her...she is drinking fluids fine and acting pretty normal, just a little more cranky than normal...she hasn't really eaten anything but the dr. said that's fine as long as she's getting fluids. So my question is when should I be getting nervous (well I already am haha)...but is it normal for a fever to last 3 days?...if I bring her to the drs on Monday...is there even anything they can do for her? (I've been trying the natural ways to get it away also and nothing seems to work.)

MrsPilat

Asked by MrsPilat at 12:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The only thing that they can do for her is tell you to give her the same meds you already are.

A fever becomes serious (for this age group) when it gets over 103, the child becomes lethargic, or the child stops drinking fluids and dehydration becomes a concern.

Remember that fever is your babies friend! My pedi told us to try as hard as we can to NOT give meds until a fever reaches 102, because the fever is helping baby build antibodies. You actually do more harm than good for babies immune system by giving meds to keep the fever away.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Okay thanks...yes it's been 102-103 the past 3 days and then goes down to 99-100. I just hate having to give her medicine like this...she's never really had medicine in her before.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 12:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Totally agree with Carolyn! A fever is only serious if it reaches over 103, bc the brain starts to heat up at that point. And a child's normal body temp is a bit higher than ours already, usually between 99 and 100. The fever is there helping the baby gain a strong immune system, and by putting too many prescription drugs into her such as antibiotics, you will be harming her in the long run! As long as she is not dehydrated they will not do much for her anyways at the doctor's office, so I'd just keep going as you have been! Good luck and I hope she feels better soon!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 12:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I guess my question is though when is it serious? like what if she has a fever after 5 days...that can't be normal?? Can it?? Also her temp is usually always 98 degrees or below (on a normal day) so I know that 99-100 aren't normal for her either...
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 12:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• AND after the 6 hr mark it hits 103...so I have to give the meds to her.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 12:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• btw thank you for responding ladies! I just have never had to deal with this before ..so i'm in the dark!!
    MrsPilat

• Here's a question for you - is it possible that she is getting ready to cut a tooth? Sometimes my daughter will run a fever for up to a week with no eating (but drinking fluids) and no other symptoms, and then "POOF" a tooth appears and the fever is gone.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• ooh thank you! I will check her mouth....she does have a pretty full set but maybe it's one of the back ones. I pray that's it and nothing serious!...
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 12:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• alternate children's tylenol & motrin every 4 hours until the fever breaks.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I was just curious and to why to do that? A few other people have told me to that..
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2009