• In the Spotlight:

Pregnancy and dog bites?

Im 22 weeks pregnant and I had a friends dog bite my finger yesterday when I was at her house. It was just a little dog like half the size of my foot but that little sh*t bit me hard! she broke the skin on my middle finger and its a good 2 inch long deep cut! This morning I woke up and it is swollen like crazy and it is all white and leaking white stuff. And it hurts when I touch anything with that finger. Should I be worried? Can this harm my baby?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 12:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Health

• It will not cause harm to the baby (yet) but if it is infected you need to have a doctor see it. If you were bit by a bigger dog wouldn't there have been a fuss made, and the dog brought in for quarantine? Its no different with a smaller dog; there is still bacteria that can harm you, and it sounds like you might have an infection started. Nip it in the bud, so to speak, with antibiotic cream from the doctor asap before it can spread and become dangerous! I used to work at a pet store for years, and have been bit by smaller dogs several times, and each time I had to go to the doctor to make sure everything was ok. They will just give you medicine to help it, bc it can spread into your blood if left untreated for too long. I would go asap, being pregnant with an infection is never good!!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 12:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• You should go to the hospital. The dogs needs to be quarantined for Rabies. She is responsible for your medical costs.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Oak it in peroxide and then squeeze the hell out of it. It will hurt bad but if its a friends dog and you dont want to start a problem with her then just fix your finger yourself and once you get it to bleed without the white stuff just put like neosporine on it and bandage it. I f you are worried about rabies then talk to you r friend and ask to see the dogs records because of what you are experiencing. Its probably just an infection and infections are not that big of a deal if you treat them. The doctor wont do anymore than this!
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2009