how long do you read to your child?(under 6 months)

i read to genevieve for hours . she loves the pictures in the books . i have so many books for her already lol and shes only 11 weeks

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• MrsOwen..we think alike...I read to my son and did so much with him. He will be in second grade this coming school year. He tested high on his academic skills. His reading is in the 4th grade level. As a former teacher, I pointed out everything to him. He loves learning and told his meme that he was ready to go back to school. May I suggest, sign language. It's a lot of fun or it was for us. One of the science lessons we did together was the butterfly bugville. We did that again this year. He loves anything to do with nature. And he can tell you the names of all the dinosaurs. At this age, they are like a sponge. Enjoyed your chat.

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 6:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I didnt start reading until 6 months and I read for about half an hour before bed after bath.
    Anonymous

• My daughter's 4 months. She usually can sit through a book or two, but than she gets fussy. It might just be the time of day though. That's great she loves to listen to you read. I bet she'll be a smarty-pants!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 1:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• lol
    my son loved stories too
    i just love that she sits there and listens lol
    sometimes she will fall asleep while i read lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I don't think it matters how long you read to her. But, you have gotten a head start on her skills. She's enjoying it. Read as much as you can to her. I used to teach and I am really big on reading to your kids. She's processing everything and enjoying it. It will pay off in a few short years. She may even be an early reader. I don't know if you do this, but, when you are out and about, point to signs and say what they are. Language is such a big key. 11 weeks, I'm impressed. You are a great mom.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 1:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• im just doing what i did with my son
    i had him pointing out his colors and shapes before he could talk
    he was talking by 1 and i mean pretty good
    he was walking and running by 10 months i remember because wee decided to take him trick or treating with his aunt who was 6
    now he is 5 years old about to start kindergarden and reads at a 2nd grade level
    im big on teaching children young
    they can and will be smarter if you take the time
    oh and thank you :)
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i also believe that if a child is taught things young they will end up loveing to learn and i think that will make them more likely to continue to love to learn and they will finish high school adn go to college
    i believe it all starts when they a young
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I think for a 6month 20 minutes is good. . its said that its aways good to read to your child as much as possible.but a lot of other mothers like us are always busy with other things to do .
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 2:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I used to read to my belly when I was pregnant!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• During the evening when we nurse, I read novels to my son. There are no pictures and I know he doesn't understand, but he listens. He is four months old. I hope this will encourage him to love reading later in life. We just finished the last Harry Potter and started on a new one the other day.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2009