how much would charge or pay for a nanny?

I'm looking to pick up some extra cash while dh works. I don't want to put my kids in daycare because it costs so much. I was thinking of becoming a nanny to one or two kids but I'm don't know what to charge. also would you hire a nanny with an infant (about a month old.) thanks for any input! AND PLEASE NO BASHING!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• Nanny's in Chicago get $10-12 an hour.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Massachusetts $14/hour.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I had a full time nanny for a few years. She did not live with us, just came daily from 9am-4pm.
    I work from home so I was home all day but she did tend to the children when I was working on the PC such as cooking meals ect.. She took case of our laundry, dishes, and all cleaning of my house.

We paid her $500 a week, which is what she asked for,
    TheWAHM

Answer by TheWAHM at 2:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I think it is a good idea for you. I don't think having an infant will matter to your future client, if you do a good job of selling yourself on how responsible you are and how you intend to manage your time with all the children. Sorry, I don't know the going rate. I would look up "nanny" on craigslist in your area and see what others are charging and view their ads to get ideas for your own ad.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 2:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• OP HERE - thanks ladies... I made a sample day and 2 sample menus (breakfast through the afternoon snack) it looks great on paper... I looked on craigslist and everything says price negotiable or depending on duties you require... I know daycares in the area are about $500 to $600 a month... how do nannies manage to charge $500 a week when daycares are so much cheaper?
    Anonymous

• They charged that money because the job is a little more that what a daycare does.
    Differences on the duties (just my thoughts):

Dycare: the teachers have a least 10 kids or more to paid attention to.

Nanny: the attention and focus is much better because they only have to give attention to our babies only.

Daycare : They do not have a good cleaning sense ( I know so because I worked on one and I was terrified how they cleaned and it was suppose to be a real expensive daycare )

Nanny: Not only take care of your babies but also they help you with the duties at your home ( laundry, bathrooms, bedrooms etc) Sometimes they are lik personal assistants

That are some of the reasons why I belived what they charged is fair.
    Vero529

Answer by Vero529 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Around here Nanny's that live WITH you go for about $350 a month but I if they don't live with you it's about $10 an hour. However, I have to be honest here. If I was to hire a nanny, I wouldn't want her to have her own kids to care for. That would be a big NO NO for me. I would NEVER let her bring other kids over. To me that would take away from the care she is able to give. Not only that but other problems could arise between the kids... Nope, I wouldn't hire someone with a baby... Sorry...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I know if it were just my 3 y/o she would be fine with it as she asked for a playmate in her ad but I wonder how she will feel about the newborn.
    Anonymous

• $500 a MONTH for daycare??? Try $500 a week!!! At least its almost that much where I live! Thats why I literally can not afford to work. In Connecticut I would charge a minimum of $15 dollars an hour and another $5 per extra child. However, if I were hiring a nanny I wouldn't let them bring their their child. I'd be paying them to watch MY kids not theirs but thats jmo.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• You won't want to work for a person that has a problem with you bringing your own child anyway. Honestly those moms are usually total bitches and horrible to work for. There are lots of great families that are happy to find someone who obviously values children or she wouldnt be looking for a way to be with her own. Thats what most good people who want a nanny are looking for. Someone who loves children. Here it is $10 for basic needs of the child and clean up involving the child only such as washing bottles, taking out the diaper genie bags or whatever. Be picky with whoever you choose to work for. You don't want your children around jerks any more than most moms would want a jerk coming into their house.
    Anonymous