1 year old

my dd just turned 1 june 2..she has a bad habbit hitting, bitting (she bit and drew blood on my sis-in-law the other day) and throwing a fit..she knows it's wrong to bit after she does it and we get on her about it..but how do i break these habbits?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Both my sons did this my oldest much worse then the younger one and the older one was much harder to break of it then the younger one, but I think for the most part I have ended it in both them. First off as I tell any parent that is having problems, read the book, "Raising Godly Tomatoes" Even if you are not a religious person the general parenting teaching this women uses is the best I have every seem or read. It is definitely worth you checking out their website, just do a search for Raising Godly Tomatoes and their website should pop up. But my short answer to your question that worked wonders on my youngest, if he bit me I would flick him in the mouth, not hard, but just enough for him to realize his mouth was being bad. I would say ouch really loud, flick his mouth and push him away refusing to give him attention for a few minutes. and anytime it seemed like he was going to bite me I would tell him to not bite mommy.
    lilmama4d_j

Answer by lilmama4d_j at 2:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I would also show my son where he hurt me and if he made me bleed i would show him the blood telling him, "look what you did to mommy! that was bad, that really hurt mommy! don't ever do that again!" It is just a stage a lot of kids go through nothing too ab normal. It just needs to be nipped in the butt now or it will grow into a problem that will be MUCH harder to stop then what you are dealing with now. Be patient it will take time, just be sure you show her your GREAT distaste for her poor actions and correct her poor actions every SINGLE time she acts out. But at the same time make sure to tell her how proud you are of her and what such a good girl she is when she is good and doesn't bite people and be mean to people. Be sure to congratulate her for controlling her temper when she doesn't throw a fit. Celebrate when she is good but be sure you show GREAT distaste for her actions when she is bad.
    lilmama4d_j

Answer by lilmama4d_j at 3:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2009