Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think I should find a new pedi.?

My baby (10 mos.) is ALWAYS constipated and the doctor isn't really working with me. He actually cries when he has to poop because it hurts him so bad and it gets stuck. The current pedi. said to feed him more fruit and veggies especially prunes and spinach. It isn't working and he keeps getting fissures from trying so hard to go. Suppositories don't work either, he just cries because it hurts his bum. Should I get a second opinion or is there really nothing else I can do besides changing his diet?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (4)
  • I Would get a second opinion. I know my aunt used to get a medicine dropper and warm lightly soaped water and put it in her kids bum as a mini enema i guess. I dont know if thats a good thing to do. Ive never done it, but she did it with all 4 of her kids and it helped. You may want to look more into that though. Id be scared to do that myself

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • I would get a second opinion. I am no expert, but what you describe isn't normal, even for a good that struggles with going. I would think they would want to take a look at his stomach and/or intestines and be sure evrything is working right. (Or work with you to figure out if it is his diet).

    Answer by micheledo at 2:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • I would definitely get a second opinion. This doctor should have the common sense to realize that the "treatments" he/she is prescribing just aren't helping. Constipation that severe can even lead to a fecal impaction, which has to be removed, causing great pain. Lots of things can cause constipation in infants, and I think a new pediatrician would be your best bet if you want to find the cause with your little one.

    Answer by 3_is_enough at 3:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • good for you for realizing you should get a second opinion! So many people take what their doctors say as the only possibility and end up suffering for it! Definitely take your baby to see someone else - or ask your doctor to refer you to a specialist.

    Answer by stepmom929 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.