Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going thru a divorce :(

My dh and I are getting divorced, we've only been married since October but been together for 6 years and have a 8month lil girl. Our marriage is ending because my dh cheated on me... My question is how should we go about child support? He says he'll give me 400 a week until I find a good job and get on my feet (i've been a sahm taking care of my 2yr ss and 8month dd) then he'll start giving me 200 a week after I get a good job. He makes 20 and hour and ppl are telling me to let the court decide on child support cause i may get more than what he's offereing to give me but i dont think so. What do you ladies think? We live in oklahoma.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • Also how much are divorces these days? We're not fighting over anything and have already agreed on what we want.. Thanks again

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • take it to court. that way if he gets behind on it something can and will be done legally.


    Answer by rose549 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • google child support calculator for your state. it will tell you how much he has to pay. It' s not up to him. There is a formula

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • You should definitely do it by the courts. What if he ups and decides to stop paying all together? You would also have no proof that he paid you anything at all if he pays cash. I would assume when you go to the lawyer for child custody, they will figure out child support as well. If not, find a separate lawyer who will handle that for you. That way, you will get exactly what the kids are entitled to and he has no choice but to pay. Anyway, good luck and I'm sorry you're going through this!

    Answer by tnm786 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • Uncontested divorces are cheaper than contested ones of course but none are cheap. You'd have to call an attorney for your state to ask how much. There are different filing fees for different states as well. There are normally parenting classes you have to take since there are kids involved (Kids of Divorce I think it's called. ) I'm sure there is a fee for that. If no children were involved you could do it yourself but since there are children then an attorney is necessary.

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • Definitely let the courts handle it.

    Answer by sophiafarris at 2:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • I would let the courts decide..


    Answer by louise2 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • I'd let courts decide... I'm getting 500 a month. my ex makes 25 an hour... def go through the courts. I'm sorry to hear this is happening.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

  • You can have your papers wriiten with the child support agreement. That way, he is legally bound.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.