Christians, would you be willing to accept the Bible being taught in public schools, IF AND ONLY IF...

All other Holy Books are taught as well, like the Quran and I Ching and Talmud and Veda? It seems a little arrogant to claim that only the Bible should be taught, not any other ones.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would agree. I think that religion should be taught, just to get the knowledge out there to kids. I'm not saying that any public school teacher should push their own beliefs on the kids, but it wouldn't hurt to teach them about ALL kinds of religions and their histories.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 2:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I don't want any religion taught in public schools. It's not the job of public schools to teach religion.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• As long as it wasn;t teaching my kids to worship the devil sure. I have an open mind and believe we need to be taught about other religions
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• At least one person thinks this, teamquinn! Too many people scream that prayer has been taken out of public schools.
    Anonymous

• I don't see why it would hurt to make it an option once they get up to like high school. What's wrong with that? As far as prayer, I think you should be able to pray any time you want, anywhere you want.
    Anonymous

• I don't think I've met a Christian that wanted the Bible taught in public schools. I think it belongs in religion class with all the other religions.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• And as far as I'm aware, "prayer out of schools" is referring to teacher-lead classroom prayers and morning prayers over the intercom. I'm not aware of any public schools that prohibit students praying on their own or in student-lead groups or clubs where all the students present are consenting to the beliefs and prayers.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• No, not until high school or college level, and only as an academic subject of comparing religions and their affect on society and culture, but it should not be taught as a religious subject. That's for the parents to do within their own family and faith community.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• why would anyone of any religion want someone (not of that religion) teaching their child about a religion? yeah, that doesn't make sense. i don't want any teacher teaching my child about any religion..that's my job. in fact, as an xtian, i'm not too sure i even want my ds going to a private xtian school, either. i'd rather him attend public schools, and be mixed in with diverse groups of people; to me, that would be an excellent way for him to figure out what it all means to him, and when he is old enough to make sober decisions, do so. (this doesn't mean we don't take him to church or talk about God in our private home.) public schools should be about the business of scholastics, not religions.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 3:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I do not feel the need to have religious books taught/ reviewed in public schools. Lets just concentrate on math, reading, social studies, science, foreign language, art, etc. A young adult can study religion in college when he/she is ready.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2009