Where can I get a totally free family tree account?

I've gone to a few sites like ancestry.com, but they always require a subscription at the point where you can link to people who input the same family member as you (so you get a notice if another family tree also has "jane smith" and you can contact the tree owner or see their tree if its made public). I'd like to have that feature for free. Before I get too far along imputting my family history in a place where I won't be able to fill in the blanks, does anyone know of a site that allows this for free?

mrs_pulley

Asked by mrs_pulley at 3:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Family Heritage.com

Thats what I use, and its great!!!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• http://www.myheritage.com

that is the actual site
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Sorry i suppose I could talk about it a little more - it has this thing called "Smart match" that will alert you if a person with the same name is in a different family tree (that feature you wanted) and its free.

It can get pretty extensive too, it lets you track divorces and kids from those divorces. For example, my aunt has had 3 marriages, and has children from all three men. It shows the three different men and the different children she has with each of them, and then if you want to or have the information, you can input information about each of those men's families, etc. etc.

Its awesome, check it out.

Oh, but one thing, cause I wanted mine for my daughter, I started HER out as the main person for our family tree, and from there it splits to me and her dad, and so on and so forth.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• just checked ouy http://www.myheritage.com and it seems pretty cool
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 10:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2009