Is this a threat?

If your SO and you were having a fight, and he picked up a chainsaw, pointed it in your direction and pretended he was going to start it....while standing ten feet away from you and your eight month old daughter....is this a physical threat? My SO did this, and I went in the other room and locked the door, and after the fact he claims he was just trying to make a point and that he wouldn't ever actually have started it, but I felt that this was a threat to my and our daughters life, regardless. What if something "accidentally" happened?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I agree with you...He was threatening you. You should be mad and worried..You might want to consider if he will really harm you and your baby in the future. IMO. I would not feel comfortable sleeping in the same house with him..

Answer by louise2 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I would have called the cops! domestic abuse and he would have been in the dog house but thats just me
    Anonymous

• I am currently separated from him....after that, and the fact that he pulled me out of a car onto the ground, and smashed a guitar in front us, among other things, like using meth and heroin.....I decided that was the end of it....so we're separated, but married, and I still have to communicate with him because of our daughter.....and every chance he gets he insists, "I was just trying to make a point." I think that's ridiculous logic. -OP
    Anonymous

• THREAT plain n simple!
    Anonymous

• it was a threat
    talk to an abusive center
    I bet he is controling too
    abusive men are always controling

been there-divorced him
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Whether he intended it as a threat or not, to me it is a threat. He's pointing something that can cause serious harm or death at you while angry. To me, that's always a threat. I would definitely get away from him.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• That is scary! If he can go as far as picking up the chainsaw and pointing it at you and your daughter then what makes him stop from going to the next step, such as starting the chainsaw, the next time? If I were you I would leave and let him figure out what he really wants in life and if you and your daughter are in his future he needs to get some help. Maybe both of you going and getting help may help him to actually go get help. But you need to think about what is safe for you and your daughter!
    CassieHaydin

Answer by CassieHaydin at 6:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The problem with this is if you did call the cops most likely nothing would come of it because he didn't physically do anything. It's sad but true. I think you should find a group for domestic violence and get a restraining order on him. Your daughter should not have to be around this craziness. You want to do the right thing by letting them see each other, but it's really not the best thing. I don't know your financial situation, but maybe you could get visitation Supervised, so he wouldn't have the chance to threaten you. Don't waste your breath answering his calls- because they most likely won't end and only escalate into his imaginary arguments he wants to have with you. This kind of person is dangerous. My ex was this way and I tried to let him see our son when we broke up. His parents helped him hire a lawyer that told them how to pick him up for a visit and file abandnment charges. Long story short - I was bullied into
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 10:10 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• (continued) signing over custody after their attorney prolonged the temporary order for a year simply because it stated I had rights to see him. Then the final order couldn't be enforced because it said every other weekend instead of specific weekends(ex. 1st and 3rd). He used my son as a pawn for years- letting me keep him for weeks, not letting me see him for weeks. We went to court over visitation and shortly after our summer visit, he disappeared with him and I found him a year later 3000 miles away. I went there and the police had no jurisdiction. Then he went back home to his parents- lost custody of our son to them, and they have had"temporary custody" for 5 yrs because their attorney prolonged the case and I can't afford one. My son will be 16 in October. This started just before he turned 3. I can't describe to you the abuse or the things he did and somehow got away with. Social services has been called to this family
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 10:22 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• (continued) numerous times - as have the police for violence betwwen my ex and his parents. My son has been kept at home all these years because of their paranoia that I would kidnap him back- not allowed to go anywhere w/friends or have sleepovers .Also, his guardian- grandfather is an admitted child molester. My son sleeps in a bedroom with no door. I could go on and on- point is- these abusive people have no boundaries and can possibly get away with doing whatever they want. PLEASE do not try to be nice to your ex- find help, make boundaries, don't let this happen to you or your child. God bless.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 10:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2009