How would you react if someone gently disciplined your child? At the playground today, a kid (maybe 3 or 4) purposely stomped on my 1 year old's hand as he was climbing the play ladder. I was right behind him and saw what was going to happen but he was too quick. I nicely said to him, "no, we don't step on babies' hands, that's not nice". I lifted his foot off my son's hand since it was still there. His mother got snappy at me...

...she walked up to us, snatched her son up and said to me "I know how to mind my own son...next time you have a problem come to me instead of putting your hands on other people's kids. I should call the police." I said, "Actually you weren't watching him, I was and if he does anything like stomp a baby again I'll call the police, you won't have to"...she said something nasty back and instead of arguing I got my baby and left. I won't be going to that park again lol...Anyway, how would you react if someone gently disciplined your child?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 3:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would probably be embarrassed and say sorry. Why wouldn't you go back to that park because of one rude mom?
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't be upset at all.....it's not like you smacked the kid or anything....if my child was the one misbehaving in a similar fashion, and someone said something like that to her, I would be thankful to her for having seen it and been able to correct the behavior, which I would have definitely done if I had seen it myself. I think it's ridiculous that a parent would get so upset about that.
    Anonymous

• Whats up with both of you threatening to call the police? Like they care. I would have simply said....Fine, please watch your child. He stepped on my babys hand. Then remove your child and go on. We cant control how snippy other people get and how defensive they get, but we can respond in a mature way. This is common behavior at a playground. Kids are mean, simple as that.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't have threatened to call the cops, but I would have told her she could feel free to. I have no problem with others telling my children they did something wrong, if they witnessed it and I didn't. I've got four kids running around with me and only 2 eyes, so I KNOW I can't catch everything they do. I would be thankful and apologize to your child, as well as make my child apologize.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• This was my second time at this particular park. My first experience there was not a nice one, either.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 3:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• momofsaee- It might not be the police's job to care, but it is their job to intercede in situations where things might get out of hand on a public playground- and having a huge trashy woman looming over me and my child actually did make me feel a bit threatened. I feel confident that I did respond in a mature manner. Perhaps not as perfectly as you would have, but the job got done.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 3:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• uhhh the cops will not do anything. i wouldnt have cared, BUT I WATCH MY KIDS. how can you let a mother keep you from taking your baby to the park?
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I think you handled it fine and she overreacted. You were protecting your child from harm, and that meant moving her child to do so. *shrug* I probably wouldn't go back either, if there was an alternative.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I live in a town with lots of parks. Going to another one is not a big deal.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 4:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I agree with the first poster. Although it would be hard for my child to do something like that because i always watch him when we are in the park. BUT since i am not perfect, if my child did happen to do that i would apologize and continue to explain to my child how it is wrong to do what he did.
    Anonymous