Being moved after delivery-- is this typical?

My SIL gave birth and recovered in the same room. At my hospital, they have you deliver in one room, then wait a couple of hours to recover, then move you to the "recovery" room where you'll stay for 24 hour observation. The 'recovery' room isn't even in the same building! Is this normal? If you were moved-- how did you feel about it?

Thanks!

Busimommi

Asked by Busimommi at 3:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ya it is normal most hospitals have labor and delivery and post pardum rooms
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• It's normal it just depends on the hospital. I didn't mind except that the delivery rooms were so much nicer and bigger. They are re-doing the hospital and built new delivery rooms 4 years ago, but they won't be making the new recovery rooms until sometime this year, so they were old and really small and had no bed for the dad, just a recliner ]. Otherwise I don't see why it would matter. It's just a room, the recovery rooms are closer to the nursery and have different nurses.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• that's what happened in my hospital. labor & delivery and the maternity ward are separate.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 3:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• In my hospital L+D and recovery are in the same ward, but yes we did get moved to a smaller room. But we are a smaller hospital and if there are no other women coming in to deliver, they leave you in your delivery room as long as they can.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I gave birth in a delivery room and only stayed there because they didn't have any rooms available. After a couple of hours they moved us to our room and we stayed there until we were released.

Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 3:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• With my first I stayed in the same room the whole time! I never moved! With the twins I had my room I stayed in (3 days) then they took me to the or then I went to a recovery room right across the hallway from the or then I was back in my org room. the twins were born at 29 weeks, I was on the high risk floor, so I dont know about reg births at that hospital. (2 diffrent hospitals)
    mamaof32007

Answer by mamaof32007 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• here we have triage, then labour and delivery rooms, then a post partum wing of the hospital
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• With both of my deliveries I was in 3 different rooms. The first one was to check to see if you were in labor, It was a really small room with barely enough room for me and the dr to be in. Then after my water broke and all that I was moved into a delivery room when the baby was born I was in the delivery room for about 2-3 hours then moved into a regular room in the womens ward.
    CrystalDL

Answer by CrystalDL at 4:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i gave birth in my room and recovered in the same room. i had a really nice experience.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• At my hospital you give birth and recover in two seperate rooms - the recovery room is bigger/nicer so I was happy to move into it! Although I ended up with a c-section so I obviously delivered in the OR.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009