in what religions is masturbation sinful?

in what religions/denomination is masturbatino sinful? and why

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Gosh, I dont know other than my own christian protestant faith. I can only speak for myself and what I believe about it and that doesnt even mean that other people of the same denomination or protestant faith wont disagree with me. I feel that it can lead to behaviors that separate the husband and the wife. If you are married, then our commandment is to give to one another in the intimate physical way that meets their needs and desires to keep them from going outside the marriage or engaging in self fulfillment. We did have a little issue with this many years ago. I wasnt meeting my husbands needs and he DID become addicted to self stimulation. I found out and I was devastated. ONly because I didnt know. Had I known and been okay with it, then I dont think it would have put such a wedge in between us, but I found out and the anger that came over me was more than I could bear. I just felt stupid. I felt like a failure as a wife
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• and I wasnt okay with it. I wanted to be his desire. So after we got it worked out, its never been an issue since. So its not okay for us in our home, but I dont judge other people for what they feel is okay or not okay in their home. Its not my place.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I have searched on the internet to see if I could come up with an answer to this question, and I can find no religion that says masturbation is sinful. Here are a couple of links for you:

http://www.tbm.org/masturbation.htm

http://www.acts17-11.com/dialogs_masturbation.html

I did just now found that some Catholics consider it to be sinful. I'm really not sure, but hopefully these links will help some. :-)
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 3:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i understand hwo for some it comes between the marriage. some ppl do have addictions to things like that....
    but for me, that doesnt fall under religion more so that persons mentality towards porn, they just take it too far and need to abstain
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• "When a man has an emission of semen, he must bathe his whole body with water, and he will be unclean till evening. Any clothing or leather that has semen on it must be washed with water, and it will be unclean till evening. When a man lies with a woman and there is an emission of semen, both must bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening"

so by that......when i have sex with my husband we are then unclean till evening? well i guess we are really dirty haha.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Haha moki, I was thinking the EXACT same thing. We are all unclean until evening. :p
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 4:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• so what if you ahve sex in the morning and the evening? your always dirty? lol.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I know it's not wrong in what I believe.. which is a mix of things.. but I know in Paganism, it's not wrong. Spiritualists, it's not wrong. Athiests, and agnostics, it's not wrong...

as for Christianity, it's different per denomination, so you'd have to consult with a few different denoms for an answer to this part.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I am a recovering Catholic but I am not blind?

boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Not a problem for us. My mom (Catholic) explained it to me that it was about the thought not the deed. Which led to the joke - sure you can do it, just don't think about it. We weren't talking about men, though, so I don't think that accounts for the whole "spilling of seed" aspect of it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2009