How do you feel about yard sales or hand me downs?

I have never been one of those people that stop on the side of the road when i see someone has thrown out a nice dresser or something i could use nor have i ever been to yard sales

I was on a website the other day that said yard sales will be my new best friend and days later i rode pass a yard sale and seen a $200 Jeep stroller and i had to get it! She was selling it for $75 firm but my mom told me to talk her down but she ended up doing all the talking lol

I feel bad because my grandma found a pack and play someone put outside for trash and it looks dirty and dingy so i'm going to have to tell her thanks but no thanks

MsQuiana

Asked by MsQuiana at 3:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I love garage sales. If you can take the time to clean something up (like the pack'n'play) you can end up with some pretty nice things. Even if you end up not using them at your house, you can use them for things that are to stay at grandma's house (my MIL has a whole room specifically for kaylee with her own set of toys, clothes, etc. that she and I have gotten at garage sales - it makes it really nice when she goes to stay there because I don't really have to pack anything for her)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I love yard/garage sales, as well as the Goodwill store....you can find some awesome deals that way...and stuff in really excellent quality. If it's gross or dirty, then that's one thing, but a lot of times you find great stuff.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 3:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• What's the point of your question? Not all stuff set outside along curbs are nasty. I sit anything outside that I feel someone could use, that I no longer have a use for. I have thrown out everything in my attic- toys, books, end tables, etc... just because I had no place to store them in my new apt. The little girl down the street had a field day, I might add! I like to make people happy. I think of it this way... what if I were driving down the road and found a great looking end table... I would think, Wow.. I hit the jack pot! I want to see someone else thinking that too.

As for garage sales... well Hon.. case in point: I found a brand new pair of Doc Martens the other day.... Bought for 3.00... sold on ebay for 35.99! What a great profit for me. On eBay for two hours!!! Do what you want... it's no one's concern on what you do or do not want to do....
    Anonymous

• obviously the point of asking the question was to get peoples answers and opinion which i've received thanks for adding yours
    MsQuiana

Answer by MsQuiana at 3:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• most of my stuff is hand me down. I don't take really icky things, but I do take things that are in good enough shape that I can clean up and make use of. then pass on to anyone else if they need. thats how I got my change table, high chair, bathtubs, diaper pails, blankets (sometimes), cradle and basinette.....

i wouldn't use a used carseat, but stroller sure.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I've gotten some great stuff but I won't buy if it's dirty or looks damaged. I also shop goodwill or those types of storesfor my whole family, it doesn't always work but sometimes you come away with a treasure. I don't really get many hand-me downs.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i love yard sales and thrift stores. i wont buy it if its broken, dirty or, stained. i have a group of friends and we all have boys, so we do a clothing exchange. i get alot of hand me downs from my nephew for my sons.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• go to the rich neighborhoods the day before trash day, rich folks set out the good stuff
    My Mom's neighbor set out a Martinelli Stroller

I have a great store down the road a St. Vincent de Paul

I go there often and find great things
    we save a ton, and my 9 yr old step daughter loves it

one thing i would love is an exchange of womens clothing and excessories, get together with some women, some wine perhaps, great chat and get rid of things you do not wear and get some "new" things
    but new to this town
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• As soon as my stepmom found out I was having a girl, she was hitting the yard sales. We have plenty of clothes for our baby girl up to about 12 months old. There have been a few things she bought that I just thought were too ugly even for just around the house, so I'll be donating those to the Goodwill. My stepmom only buys the stuff in good condition, though. She passes on anything with stains. I'm planning on buying the bassinet from a children's consignment shop. I would have gone to yard sales myself looking for a bassinet, but I HATE to get up early and when it comes to yard sales, the early bird catches the worm.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I love garage sales, yard sales, consignment stores. Any place that I can get something for my kids at a cheaper price than having to pay for it outright. I will not but something that is dirty or stained, my kids will do that for me, but if it is in good condition and my kids or I can use it, I will get it. I have saved thousands of dollars buying gently used items compared to buying them brand new from a store. I have now have 3 kids and I can afford to buy everything new like I used to you. My kids also love going to these places. They have no problem buying used clothing or used toys. It is where we got most of our huge collection anyway. It is true, sales of any kids will be your best friend, just make sure it is in good condition.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 6:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2009