why is birth control considered wrong?

why is birth control considered wrong by some relgioins? aboriton i can understand..but birth control isnt abortion...and if anything it prevents pregnancies that could end in an abusive life for that child because the man/woman just dont want kids or are not good with them....or if they dont have the finances to pay for one is also prevents that...

i dont understand that at all. its not like everyone on birth control is a 16 year old who sleeps around.

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can only answer for what I have heard from those people who dont and wont use BC for themselves. I am a christian and I do believe in BC for those who feel they need to. For those moms that dont believe in it, I have never heard them say its wrong for everyone. I have only heard them say its wrong for THEM personally. I guess they feel that if they are in a marriage, one that God ordained, then they should be open to any life God is willing to give them. Now I had to think about this for a long time before I really understood. I know my body and I know that if I gave no thought to my bodys processes, I would have 15 kids by now. I simply dont desire that. Its more of a mindset of faith, if you will. There are moms that believe in simply counting days and abstaining on those days to prevent pregnancy as opposed to taking synthetic meds to do it for them. I DO personally believe that is the best way to go.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The reasons I believe that is because BC or anything that puts synthetic hormones into your body can really screw you up. Ive been having hormonal problems for a long time and the worst came after I went off of them permanently. My body just didnt want to give them up but I was done having my kids. Its been hard, to say the least. I just encourage young moms to prevent pregnancy in other ways besides using synthetic hormones. I think everyone needs to decide how they want to plan their families and its their choice. I dont feel its wrong. Everyone is responsible for themselves and their choices.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• and also from my side...i have a hormonal disorder....and the treatment for it from my doctor, was birth control...it helps my hormones level out......and we are not ready for our next child but yea....

so its not just a not ready for kid #2..its also it is medically beneficial.

iw as told the catholic faith is big on this...........im not going to stop taking birth control....and im not going to lie about it. i know how my body feels and the problems i go thru when i dont take it cause of my hormones (polycystic ovaries syndrome)
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Not all Catholics avoid birth control (even though their church discourages it). Most protestant groups are fine with it. There are no verses in the Bible that poo poo it.

I think it is a personal decision.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Yes the Catholic church is against bc,I checked. However,there are several people in the church on it. BC is not wrong for me. I don't feel right about having kids I can't afford then getting help from the state.BTW,not all bc is hormones pumping through your body. I personally had my tubes tied. I had to go to a different hospital to do it because the Catholic hospital wouldn't do it!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I'm like you, my hormones were so messed up I had to go on b/c. I believe the argument is that if God wants you to have children you shouldn't interfere with His plans. My problem with that is my God is big enough to give me a baby despite what I do or don't do. Plus, unless the Bible specifically prohibits something then we are left to walk in liberty on that thing. Now there are some things that are wrong in principle and if we are convicted not too then we shouldn't.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The Catholic Church is against birth control because they see it as imposing your own reproductive will onto the will of God.

Other Christian groups are against unmarried individuals taking birth control because they're under the impression that it encourages promiscuity.

There are SOME forms of birth control that will prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterine wall which many view as an "abortion."

I have no problem with birth control. I'd rather prevent lives being made than have a huge debate over what to do with an unwanted, created life, after-the-fact.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The main reason i have seen is because the Church only want you to have sex for procreation not for any other reason. So if you want to have sex then you should be willing to have a child because in their eyes procreation is the ONLY reason for sex. Its a prudish way of thinking but taht is waht i have found from studying many religions
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The CC's position on birth control comes not from the result of birth control (regulating births) but looking at the meaning/purpose of sex and marriage. There are some very valid reasons why a couple would need to space out pregnancies - medical reasons, financial reasons, things like that.

But when we examine the question of why did God give us the gift of sex? There are 2 reasons - procreation and unifying between a husband and a wife. These two reasons are bound together so much that they shouldn't be separated. God designed our bodies to work in a certain way and that's something we should respect.

Now taking BC pills to correct a medical problem is fine - the goal is to fix a problem in your body. That it affects your fertility is a side-effect (and other medications do as well). But if you take pills for the purpose of contraception - you're forcing your body to work against God's design.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• So basically with contraception one is taking the fun of sex but telling God that the whole procreative thing is not for you and you don't like the way He set things up and so you're going to do all you can to stop that.

Contraception also goes against the unitive effect of sex. The idea is that during sex a couple should give themselves to each other totally and completely. If you're using contraception you're purposely holding part of yourself from your spouse - you're fertility. And the bible shows us how our fertility is a gift from God and should be respected. This is what is meant by being 'open' to life in a Catholic marriage - that we understand our fertility as a gift from God.

With Natural Family Planning - a couples learns the woman's fertility cycle, monitors it, and makes choices about when to have sex. God designed our bodies with this natural rhythm, and NFP respects the way God designed our bodies.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2009