exploring religion....told not to?

ok so many of you know im studying catholicism right now...but i never said im going to be catholic..im just being open minded....weeks ago i said i was going to really open up and see where i go.
now i was reading an article about buddhism because i believe i nthe general philosophy of it and its a healthy , positive way of looking at life and i was told "you cant look into buddhism and study catholic!" why not? lol. im not a member of any church yet, im just studying and seeing where it goes..and it may turn out...it may not....but i found it a little ridiculous that a christian told me it was against the religion to be studying another at the same time

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• thats silly.

my girls have been baptised catholic, and go to catholic school. (I'm not and haven't been baptised anything). I learn catholicism one step ahead of them....

I like to learn all about other religions and take bits and pieces from each for what suits me. I'm teaching my girls to do the same thing - be one but respect and make the effort to learn about others.

my favorite site for religion and beliefs etc is beliefnet.com
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• well the fact im not even cahtolic..just exploring it...i was kinda like well...way to just lock me in already lol
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I suppose you can do whatever you want. Theres no rule that says this. Just do what you want.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I'm always studying religion. it fascinates me.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• YOu have the right to look into any religion you want. And, I would suggest, until you have found one that "fits" you, continue to do so. I'm a Pagan and i am reading a book by a baptist minister about how the Abrahamic faiths (or any religion really) can be twisted and turned evil.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• yep. i plan to keep studying different area's ....right now im studying catholicism mostly...but ive studied a lot and i plan to keep doing that.

i dont know if i will ever truly find that one wher ei go OMG THIS IS THE ONE FOR ME......maybe ill always stay a spiritual mut lol.

but i dont feel bad about it..im a positive person who's number one in life is my family. if anyone tells me im evil for that cause i dont settle down into one religion...well i guess im evil by their terms, but not by mine.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My best friend in his world (among most of my other friends) is a devout Catholic. Her husband was a little put-off when I told him that I was studying other religions and reading other versions of the Bible. He informed me that the approved Catholic version of the Bible was the only true version of the Bible out there and that all other versions of the Bible are just watered-down versions of the approved Catholic translations. He believes there's no reason to study another religion because none other than Catholicism are true and are distractions from the "true faith." I'd like to believe that's just him but honestly, that's not the first, second..third...or fourth (you get the idea) that I've heard someone say that. I love and tolerate ALL religions but am very skeptical whenever I hear ANY religion say things like that you know? If it's the truth, then by all means, look anywhere else you want! No need to hinder :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Bandgeek (whom I know won't mind me calling her out) often quotes a Methodist author who says something to the nature of "I was worried when I went from Buddhist to Christian that I couldn't be Buddhist anymore. Now I wonder how I can be a Christian WITHOUT being Buddhist!" Buddhism is about more of a peaceful and spiritual healthy lifestyle and not "right" or "wrong" dogma (IMHO). I embrace a lof of Buddhism (and Hinduism too) based on common-sense and not necessarily religious worship.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I dont' see why..no matter how you look at it..

Buddhism doesn't even have a "God".. so you don't have to worry about worshipping a "false idol".

and as you said.. your not committed to anything, so why does it matter?
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Did they tell you why? I'm Catholic, and have personally never been told not to look into other religions or been given the impression that it's a bad thing to do. When I was going through RCIA I specifically asked if there was a Bible the Church recommends and was told which one they normally use but I wasn't even told I had to use that one, my "teacher" only told me which to stay away from because the language wasn't easy to understand, nothing further than that.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2009