I think my son doesn't like me....:(

My son is 15 months old and he hates being by me. I also have a 3 month old. When he was a baby the only why I could get him to sleep is if he was laying on my chest or I was rocking him to sleep. And now, I can't get him to come by me to sit with me on the couch or anything. And my husband is going into the Army and I am going to be alone with both of my kids. My daughter needs to start sleeping in her crib but she wakes him up when she gets up at night. I know this sounds crazy, but how can I get my son to sleep in the same with me?

proud_mommy1322

Asked by proud_mommy1322 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Kids like to be independant at this age. Don't try to force him to cuddle wtih you. it'll jsut make him mad. What is wrong wtih letting the baby stay in your room in a pack n' play or the crib if room and letting your son stay where he is?
    Anonymous

• I agree with the anon response. Kids at that age are learning their independence. I would consider moving your daughter's crib into your room. I hope it gets better for you. I know it hurts because I went through the exact same thing with my son. He was attached to me until my youngest daughter was born (they are 15 months apart). Then he hooked onto his dad and that was it. Maybe your son is even a little jealous especially if you are the primary caregiver to your daughter. I don't mean primary as in alone, I know that your husband is there, but if you are the one who does most of the feedings, diaper changes, etc. Hugs to you, and I hope it gets better soon. :-)
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 4:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I agree. My oldest was very similar. Cuddeled a bit as a baby then didn't want to be held by 9 months. He doens't hate you, he loves you and trust in your love enough to not need to be near you. Kids this age don't understand hate, they know who they trust to meet there needs and who doesn't.
    So give him his space, he will come to you when he needs you. If he is waking up at night move his bed to your room. If you put him in your bed then you will have to move him out and that could be a real big battle. Also have you tried putting some soft music, or a fan on in there room. This constant noise could help him to sleep through your daugther leaving the bedroom. ALso if it is new that he is waking them give it time and he will learn to just ignore it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I agree with Jessica.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 5:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The other ladies are right. My oldest did this when his little brother was born (they are 23 months apart). But he is 6 now and is back to wanting to be all over me. Now my other son ahs always been kinda touchy about being held, but he has PDD-NOS (ASD) which gives him sensory issues. But he does come to me when he is hurt.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2009