• In the Spotlight:

Whats the appropriate amount of money to spend at a Baby Shower?

I had a work friend who threw my baby shower over 2 yrs. ago. However after I quit work we lost touch and I have always been the one to initiate conact with her, and now she calls me 4 days before her baby shower to let me know that I am invited. How much is appropriate to spend?

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I always stick with a $15-$20 budget for gifts.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I spend $100 on my sisters but that was my sister I would buy a few items maybe about $20 worth or so, it all depends on how much u have too.... I am sure she would be happy with anything she gets and if not oh well
    Anonymous

• For someone other than family..$15-$20 is fine. I just went to a friends baby shower that I have not seen in about a year. Before that we were really good friends. I spent about $50 on her, but thats just me. I am known for buying cute little outfits so I bought her 2 from gymboree and a bunch of misc. pieces from the GAP. I got a TON of clothes for $50. I think under $20 is perfectly acceptable.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• For a family member I would spend more.
    For a friend that you haven't seen in a while who just reminded you (short notice), I would keep it under $25.00.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I would agree with everyone else. Around 20 dollars is fine.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• $20 sounds to be the number

When I find a really good deal on a general baby gift, I stock up for occasions like this

Books are always good for either sex, and can bring one along wrapped for any older children-your going to be a big brother gift!
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• normally $15-25 for co-workers and associates.. $25-$50 for close friends and distant relatives..
    and $50- for close family.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• since it's someone who you aren't in close contact with anylonger.. I would buy a small package of diapers (any size, because most people buy newborns, and some babies are too big, or they get enough from the showers, so I always buy size 1 or 2).
    and a gift card for $15.00
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I agree with most that are saying 15.00 to 25.00. This is a person who only invited you 4 days ago. Do you ever wonder if it was an invite because she had thought you heard about it from someone else? (We were invited to a wedding that way, needless to say we didn't go to a wedding with 3 days notice)
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2009