do they do anything for a broken toe??

My son was skateboarding yesterday and he stomped the board down really hard on his toe. It is worse today and swelling up around the toe nail, really purple too. Do they do anything for broken toes? Oh its his big toe if that makes any diff. Thanks

stickyfingers

Asked by stickyfingers at 4:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Nope
    Anonymous

• no all they will do is take a piece of a pop sicle stick and tap it to it to keep the toe straight, and that isnt always the best thing for it, my sons toe didnt heal right because of it.... i would keep ice on it and wear open toe shoes for a while....so it can heal, also when he sleeps i would put something in between the toe so it spaces it out
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately there really isn't much they can do for him, other than possibly give him something for the pain. As long as you are sure its only the toe that's broken, all you can do is use ice (every 20 min on and off) and wear shoes that don't constrict, such as sandals or flip flops. Good luck and I hope he feels better soon!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 4:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• thank you. what about taping it to the toe next to it? thats what his friends mom said. I think it would make it bend weird though. I think I am just going to make him ice it and give him motrin and stay off of it as much as possible. Did they give him pain med? My son is thinking that he crushed the bone.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 4:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• thats what they did with my mom they taped the braken toe to her other toe it semed to heal fine. but i dont kow if that was just something her dr. did but yes ice it. hope he gets better and the pain is not to bad for him. i feel so bad i know how bad it hurts when you just stub your toe i cant imagine breaking it goodluck
    sdeignan

Answer by sdeignan at 5:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• If you break your big toe and you break the foot bone at that joint it's another story. They will want to do surgery and put a pin in that will never let your toe bend again. I opted for a series of casts over 9 months instead. During that time I broke my other ankle on the stupid crutches and had to use a wheelchair.

I'm glad I went the cast route. I can bend my toe fine.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I think I'd be inclined to take him for examination and suggested treatment. Likely they'll say the ice thing- 20 minutes at a time, but I'd be more comfortable knowing for sure.

Answer by Bmat at 7:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Yea I am going to take him tomorrow though. Thanks ladies for the advice. I hope it is only the toe. He just got his broken thumb almost healed. (another skateboarding injury) yikes I am afraid of whats next...
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 7:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I would take him to the ER anyway, he could have broken or sprained the top of his foot (the growth plate). But, no they won't do anything for a broken toe, ice packs and Advil is about all you can do. Oh, and elevate his foot.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2009