Other countries have no problem with gays in the military, why does the USA?

U.S. Rep. Patrick Murphy, the first Iraq war veteran elected to Congress, has just launched a campaign for a bill to repeal "don't ask, don't tell." He observed British troops in Iraq operating smoothly with a serve-openly policy and bristles at the contention that America's armed forces would suffer morale and recruiting problems if they followed suit.

"I take it as a personal affront to our warriors," said the Pennsylvania Democrat. "To say that other countries' soldiers are professional enough to handle this and American soldiers aren't is really a slap in the face."

In Britain, on the other hand, gay and lesbian service members marched in crisp uniforms in the annual Pride London parade July 4. Gay Australian soldiers and sailors had their own float in Sydney's Gay Mardi Gras parade. In Israel, the army magazine earlier this year featured two male soldiers on the cover, hugging one another.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090712/ap_on_re_us/gays_in_the_ranks;_ylt=AsgUDOsrn.gV4oUp3Sll2Y6MwfIE;_ylu=X3oDMTMxNWhuODNsBGFzc2V0Ay9hcC8yMDA5MDcxMi9hcF9vbl9yZV91cy9nYXlzX2luX3RoZV9yYW5rcwRjcG9zAzcEcG9zAzcEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawNhbGxpZXNzdGFuY2U-
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I think a lot of men are afraid of being "turned" gay or something. It's sad, really.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i agree with caitxrawks it is sad. and i do think men are afraid that being gay in contagious. My DH is military and has mixed feelings about the dont ask dont tell policy.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I used to have issues with Gays in the military... Now, I think if they are willing to commit their life, let them serve. But I will give my opinion before I changed my stance... I felt that if in a ground combat situation, and there were two men (gay and in a relationship) fighting in the same squad/platoon.. Would they jeopardize the mission because of emotions(for each other) taking precedent over the primary strategy? But like I said. I feel now~if they want to serve, let them. ...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I just don't understand how a country that has federal laws about discrimination based on race, religion and sexual preference would be allowed to openly discriminate in their military.....
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i think that if the gay men are going to be in the military then they should stay with the women and if lezbos join, they should be with the men
    Anonymous

Thats an understandable argument, and I think it was made when women were being admitted more and more ...But your new understanding is how I feel. If your brave enough to offer your life then I will not question your committment to our country and your fellow service men and women

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I have a friend that's gay and in the Army. He's currently stationed in Iraq. I refuse to let anyone tell me he's less of a soldier because of who he chooses to have sex with.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Sweet, we agree on something!!!! Isn't this like the 2nd time? LOL :oP  

~Always Fun keep'n it real with ya~

PS~It was some CM's that opened my mind and got me to look at the other side. And I have no problem admitting it.. Without a question mark across my face no less!!.... LOL...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Easy!!! The USA is all about discrimination! It always has been and always will be!

Anonymous