Can someone call CPS on me because my kids pretty much have to stay in our room all day long?

They are 8 months old and we are currently homeless. We are staying with family in a not so child proof home. The family I am with doesnt want their carpets to get dirty, so she asked if my kids could stay in our room with hardwood floors. They can crawl in there but we have our bed, two dressers and two cribs so there isnt much space. Is this something I can get my kids taken away for? I know being homeless is something they can take them for. Help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no that would be like saying ours kids would get taken away for us livign in a 300 sq foot studio apartment
    you wotn lose your kids they have a roof over their heads and food in their tummies you are fine
    apply for secton 8 houseing
    Anonymous

• In the state of California CPS CAN NOT take away a baby or child just because you are technically homeless as long as you are providing some form of shelter. Even if you were living in your CAR. ...
    it doesnt sound like you are doing anything wrong to me. ...you might try taking those LO's to the park and let them crawl around on a large blanket.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• No I don't think so but take them outside or to the park just so they can stretch out their legs. Poor babies I hope you get a place of your own soon. Atleast you have these people that care enough to take you guys in. Atleast you have a roof and a bed.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Honey people call CPS on people everyday for anything they dont agree with. If they are called they will most likely come out and check the place out to make sure it is safe for them. You have somewhere they can sleep safely, during the day take them outside let them play in the grass. I would be as careful as possible though it seems like kids these days are being taken for no reason at all and when they should be placed in a safe inviroment nothing is being done. I say that because of kids i know though, good luck
    mom0609

Answer by mom0609 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• You are taking care of your children! You aren't beating them. You aren't starving them. You are doing your best to get by and your best is fine right now. If you are worried about them not getting enough exercise, you can try taking them to the library. My son is four months old and we live in a tiny apartment where there is no room to play so when he gets older I'm going to take him to the kids area of the library because there is plenty of room and it is always clean and it is there for my children! No one can tell me I need to leave. It'd be great to take them someplace like that when it is too hot for the park.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• No I don't think so. In my experience, CPS is pretty reasonable. They really consider all aspects of someone's situation and def. don't go taking away children for no reason. To the detriment of some, they really do want kids to stay with their parents.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I'm so sorry about you being homeless with your babes. No one knows what it's like until they have been there. My youngest son and I have been homeless 3 times and may soon be homeless again.

If CPS comes they only take childre away right away if the situation is very bad. Otherwise they investigate. If they were investigating you all you have to do is move.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Section 8 housing can have a 3 year waiting list or longer. Some complexes are nice, we have lived in two. Others you would never want to live in and would feel safer living in your car. If you are disabled the wait is longer because there are few apartments that a wheelchair can get into and around in.

There are a lot of rules for section 8 housing and not everyone qualifies. If your house was forclosed or you were evicted, you don't qualify. Katrina victims were having problems because they couldn't get all the paperwork needed (it was in the flood) and the references.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Unless you are locking them in (which you arent) there is no reason for them to be taken away.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• OP- Where do you live? City/State?
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 8:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2009