How do you help your kids' coughing?

My DD, 15 months, is getting over double pneumonia and croup. She is much better and her xrays are clear and she's not running a fever anymore, but she's still coughing really bad. She used all her medicine and I can't run her to the doc so often because our insurance doesn't kick in for another month, so everything I have to pay out of pocket right now. So, what do you do to help your kids stop coughing? I'm already using Vicks on her chest and back and running a steamless vaporizer and a cool mist vaporizer 24/7. Any other suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Nik8608

Asked by Nik8608 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Read this about Vicks...it can actually make her cough worse. I'd stop the Vicks and just use the vaporizers.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/01/13/vicks.html
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• You can try taking her in the bathroom with the shower running. There's more steam to that then a vaporizer. Also wen my ds had croup they told me to take him out in the night air. Something about the cool air reduces the swelling of the bronchial tubes.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Coughing is good. It gets the stuff up and out of the lungs. You can lay her over your lap belly down and tap on her lungs with your hands cupped. If she was in the hospital they may have done this.

Make sure no one smokes in or around the house or anywhere she is. Don't let people that smoke around her - smoke stays on clothes and in hair. Don't fry food - it gets grease in the air. Keep her in AC. If you live somewhere humid you may not need a humidifier. Sometimes humidifiers make things worse.

Don't take her out around other people. Taking her outside at night to get fresh air and so you don't go crazy being in too long may be OK depending on heat and humidity.

I know way too much about this. My 3 children and I have a rare genetic immune deficiency disease and can't fight off pneumonia. We have had pneumonia many times.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Elevate her head, take her outside in the cool night air, sit with her in a hot and steamy bathroom, run a cool mist vaporizer while she is sleeping. Try Vicks on the bottom of her feet and cover with socks, this really helps with coughing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• A teaspoon of honey & lots of fluids.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Larix. You can get it at your local health food store and it is good for any age and pregnant women. Coughing stops within 15 min. and lasts for hours. Great for asthma too. You just mix it with a little juice and it doesn't taste bad (or good... kinda bland). Good luck!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:16 AM on Jul. 14, 2009