if your pet has fleas how great is the chance of you getting it?

we got our dog sat and found that night a few fleas and then we shampoo'd him on sun morning where we found a few more we also put a flea collar on him and will be taking him into the vet mon asap.......am i making a big deal out of it? could our house have been infested already? any advice would be greatly appreciated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Pets

• I would treat the carpet and stuff just to make sure. Fleas multiply REALLY fast, and like roaches, if you see one, chances are there are a million around. There's no real way to know, just treat your house to make certain and you should be fine :) Also flea collars don't work as well as the drops, I'd get something like Advantage flea drops for protection. I always put it on my dogs (I have 4 and no fleas - yet!) at the beginning of summer when fleas start to get bad. Good luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 4:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• It is likely that the house is infested. But a flea spray will take care of it. I used those Advantage drops on my cats and it got rid of them. Also we now have the house exterminated, although not for fleas, but I'm sure the spray gets rid of any fleas that try to get in. When our house had fleas I was bitten all the time, but my husband never was, so it depends on the person, it appears. Vacuum every day once you get you furry buddy taken care of, and dump out the bag each time, and all should be well.

Answer by Bmat at 4:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Yes your house could be infested already. All it takes is one flea and they multiply so incredibly fast. You've done what you need to for your dog, I don't see a need to take him to the vet. It's not like the vet can give him a magic shot to get rid of the fleas. In regards to your home...vacuum like crazy. Do it every day, at least twice a day. Fleas will bury themselves into your carpet to lay their eggs. To get to the eggs you need to disturb the carpet and suck them all up. If you notice a real problem them spray. It's best to get a professional to do it as they know what they are doing. Like I said, all it takes is one flea and your house is infested. - We didn't even have pets, but the previous tenants in our old apartment did and we had fleas really bad. They had to yank up the carpet after 3 treatments. We broke our lease and moved.
    Anonymous

• Use "Dawn" dish washing liquid and  "Raid" flea killer it comes in a purple can like spray for the house. They both works wonders....

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Duh! Use the dawn to bath the dogs...sorry I had to reread it.

Butterfly1108

• I keep frontline on my dogs monthly. It keeps the fleas away. If i let it go a month they will get them. There are tons of dogs in my neighborhood and i guess the fleas are horrific outside lol. As for the house, vacuume, vaccume, vaccume!! Our apartment got totally infested once. I bought some flea spray from the store (not sure which brand) and sprayed the carpets and the couch. Then vaccumed everyday, twice a day for a week. I have a bagless vaccume and the compartment is clear. You could see the fleas inside the vaccume, tons of them. I would keep on until i stopped seeing them in the vaccume. Also, you MUST empty the vaccume bag OUTSIDE every time. The fleas will just get out if you don't.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 8:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Avons Skin So Soft original bath oil, works wonders on fleas!
    Anonymous

• If your dog has fleas then where ever you walk your dog probably also has fleas(he has to get it somewhere) yes your house can be infested but your yard is probably infested also (or where you walk him )
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I would treat your dog with a dose of frontline (your vet will have it) but you wont have to take your dog to the vet to buy it. It is applied on the back of the neck (you can not wash him at least a week after application). It will begin to kill fleas in about an hour and within 24 hrs he should be pretty flea free (but remember don't wash him) also if there is not a TON of fleas any few fleas that got in your home will want to jump back on the dog (fleas can not "live" off humans!) and when they do they will die as well. This is a once a month treatment, I have used it for years in a multiple pet home and never have had fleas! Love it!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Oh boy - Fleas - yes, they can get on the humans and all over the house...

Try some Natural options - cedar oil, critter oil and D.Earth / low cost and very safe for pet and humans, too;

see here:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2009/4/Natural-flea-tick-control.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 8:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2009