Ok this is off the parenting subject but i need help!!!

ok my sister just moved into this house which is owned by a bank but some guy is renting it to her i guess for the bank anyway the hose has some major things that needs imidiate attention. she has 4 children from age 4 to 3 months and the water doesnt work in half the house and the roof in one of the rooms looks as if its going to fall. she has called the man who rented them the home but he wont answer the phone or return any of their calls also he will not give her the name of the bank or fix the problems. so my question is how can we find out who owns the home. we have search online and only get a picture of the home the address, how many rooms and the year it was built.Can some one please help us figure this out. thanks.

dolphinfanatic

Asked by dolphinfanatic at 4:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• try your local property appraisers site, if they keep it updated it will tell you all the history (selling and buying) of the house. And the name of the current owner. (I would find somewhere else to go,,that sounds to fishy to me) Good Luck
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• You have a legal right to know who owns the property you are renting. It is the landlord's (the owner) responsibility to ensure the space is habitable. Does your friend have a lease or a rental agreement? The bank is who finances the mortgage, it is NOT the person to speak to about repairs. This sounds like a very shady arrangement. If the place is not safe, I would highly recommend she try to move as soon as possible if she does not have a written contract.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 5:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• This sounds so fishy that it isn't even funny! There have been reports on the news here where people are breaking into foreclosed homes, changing the locks and (illegally) renting the houses out to people. Then they get their money and run.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I would highly recommend to her to MOVE NOW!!! Plain and simple, this does not sound legal or safe. This has SCAM written all over it. Call the health department, go to the tax assessors office and find out who owns the house, call the police.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• here we can go to the county office and they can look the address up, give you the owner of the property, bank or person... if the person is renting from the bank... not normally.. the person will be listed ... if the bank owns the home their name will be listed... might be worth checking ... sometimes you can call your bank and they might be able to assist you... I would not make another payment, save the money and use it to move out... if the person that rented you the house contacts you then you can request the info, if not use the month or two of rent to move on... good luck
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 9:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2009