my 5 year old son will not sleep?

i have a 5 year old son.he will not go to sleep for me at night untill 11- 12am
he never takes naps.he gets up around 8am every morning.i have tried setting a schudule and getting into rutine.nothing is working sigh... any advice ???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you mean that you put him in bed and he keeps getting up? My first bit of advice would be to put him in bed at the same time each night no matter what - even if he's not falling asleep for a while. You can try positive reinforcement if it's that he continuously gets out of bed - tell him for each night that he doesn't get up he can...(whatever works for you). Make sure he's getting lots of exercise during the day too - tire him out! 5 is a really active age for boys so pick daily activities that will expend lots of energy.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• That is 8-9 hours of sleep and that may be all he needs. I would make sure he is getting no caffeine. I don't think the schedule and routine and other sleep "hygene" recommendations have research to back them up. I'm a health educator and in one of my classes we looked at this issue.

I have a son that just didn't need that much sleep when he was young. Even as a baby he didn't sleep much. He was my first and I though I got the misfit baby or something. I don't sleep much, usually 6 hours.

My husband got home from work at 11:30 and my son would stay up to see his dad and go to sleep around 12. Then he would be up at 8. What if I would have put him to bed at 8 or 9!!!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My docotr recently put my son on melatonin for sleep. It is OTC at the local GNC or health store. All it is is the effect of Thanksgiving dinner. It has helped my son tremendosly! He used to wander around the house until10 or 11 before goint o sleep. We started the pills(chewables) and a new bed time routine and we were doing bewtter by night 3. It's great to haev hima sleep by 8!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Give him a melatonin. It's a chemical that your body produces naturally. You can get it at walmart or any pharmacy.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Here are a few internet articles and Q&A's about melatonin:

Two that question using it:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400376/Is-Melatonin-Safe-for-Children.html

http://www.drpaul.com/library/17MAR2000.html

One I found saying it was helpful in a study done:

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/medicine_cabinet/melatonin_sleep_problems.html

Personaly I just make sure we have a routine, dinner, some tv, a bath, reading two stories, then laying down and saying a poem twice, he's out by the time I say it a second time. My son is also five. He goes to bed at about 8:45 every night, he's up at about 7-7:30am
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My son takes melatonin every night otherwise he will not sleep. It was recommended by several other moms. My Dr & psychologist agreed that it is ok to take. Your body naturally produces melatonin. Some people do not produce enough.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2009