How much do you plan on spending on back to school clothes???

I have an 8 yr old that's going into 3rd grade and a 5 year old that's starting kindergarten. We plan on spending $200 on each for clothes, socks, underwear, shoes, and then $50 a piece for school supplies and backpack. So a total of $500. What do you plan on spending this year? And when do you start?

mommymine3

Asked by mommymine3 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 7 year old is going into 3rd grade (turns 8 Sept 1st), and my 5 year old is starting kindergarten as well. I'm expecting to spend around $250 each for clothes, with another $25 or so each for school supplies. Really the only supplies that are required are a backpack. Still haven't gotten any letters from the school for the 3rd grader, so not sure whether or not this will be the first year school supplies are required or not.

I've already started shopping. Once school clothes start coming out, its not so easy to find shorts. My boys will be wearing shorts for the first 2-3 months of school or so.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• We don't spend money on school clothes. They wear uniforms in our city so we trade them in from last year and get new ones for this year. Most school systems have some sort of program like that to help defray costs of mandatory uniforms if they have that rule. Most school supplies are provided by the school but we do buy shoes and a backpack.
    Anonymous

• Not much. My oldest will be going into kindergarten and becuase of the events that took place he was bought a bunch of clothes a few months ago.
    I do need to get him a backpack and other school supplies but this is my first kid going to a "real" school so i dont even know what to buy.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• We have to buy uniforms for our son who is entering kindergarten. I've priced out and it's going to run about $150, just for pants, shirts, shoes and socks for warmer weather. We'll have to spend more when it starts cooling off.

That's not including regular clothes...he's growing out of most of his now.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• This is my first time shopping, but i usually spend about 150.00( x2) on new cloths every fall, so that + about 50-60 bucks on school supplies (kindergarden) would be about $360.00. I hope thats all. LOL
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My dd is 7 and going into 3rd grade. We usually spend about $250 on school clothes for her but I think we are going to spend a little less this year and buy her more clothes as needed. Probably about $50 for school supplies.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Nothing this year....We are doing online schooling.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My kids wear uniforms to school. Only my son needs new ones so that will be like $90 for pants (they are about $30 a pair but come with a money back guarantee and when we went with the cheap Target brand we had to replace them 3 times in 4 months...the ones from the uniform store lasted 2 years!) and about $40 for shirts. My oldest also needs a gym shirt that's like $12.
    Even when my oldest went to public school we didn't spend much for back to school. I'd pick up a few new things at Wal-mart but that was it. And most of it was school and play clothes. Only a few things were for school only. We replace clothes throughout the year as they need them (my son needs all new pants this year since he ripped out the knees in all of them...again).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I've never shopped for back to school clothes. When I'm in the mood or when they want something we go to the mall.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Nothing. Or virtually nothing. My son's grandmother usually buys all his clothes and then I shop to fill in the gaps. I like consignment and thrift stores. I"m picky but I can get great finds if I think ahead. I have many shoe that are in sizes that he will grow into....but I have to buy when I find them. Nike, New Balance, Puma...all the brands. I don't spend a lot because he gets so dirty and loves playing hard outside. Not to mention art class, science, and P.E. It is impossible for him to come home clean. So I don't stress on the clothes.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2009