what do you use for diaper rash? my 2 year old is teething and has had a terrible rash now for two days.

tiffany002

Asked by tiffany002 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• butt paste, or this all natural butt stuff.. both work good.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i used desetin or I let her run around naked... she's potty training. However, for teeth, i used tylenol or motrin but only when it gets REALLY REALLY bad. She LOVES tylenol and motrin and if she had her way, she'd drink the whole bottle!!! I very rarely give her anything to help with pain because she gets "addicted" and always wants more when she doesn't need it!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I was told to stop using baby wipes and use a warm washcloth and make sure his bottom is completly dry before you put anything on it. Then apply something with zinc oxide. Try and change him right away if he has a bowel movement and use a spritzer bottle and spray his bottom to clean it so you don't have to keep wiping to get it off. Hope that helps.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• what I found to work best for my son is letting him run around nekkid for a while so he can air dry really well and he also gets oatmeal baths. i fill a tube sock with a little bit of oatmeal, tie it and crush it up and let it soak in warm bath water till the water isnt clear. I've noticed improvements on my sons diaper rashes overnight from oatmeal baths.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• We use Desitin, but I'm not sure if teething is related to diaper rashes. Ours gets a rash when he eats too much fruit or has too much juice. So we back off of that for a few days and he usually clears up.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• balmax and/ro cornstarch. Also when the rash is really bad i use damp facecloths instead of baby wipes.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Our son had a rash once that literally ate away the top layers of his skin. The poor kid oozed. We were told by a nurse at our pediatrician's office to give him warm baking soda baths and then let him completely air dry before just putting on a diaper. She said the skin needed to be kept free of any creams or pastes because the skin couldn't heal otherwise.
    Within three days, he was healed enough that he wouldn't scream during diaper changes. His scars took two months to heal, that is how bad his rash was. (This is how we discovered he was highly sensitive to tropical fruit like mango!)
    Also, wipes have alcohol in them, and I recommend a plain wet washcloth until the rash is healed...or maybe try the sensitive wipes.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• triple paste medicated ointment. it's the only thing that works for my son. balmex has alcohol or something in it, because he screams when we use that when he has a rash. triple paste provides instant relief.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 10:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Follow the advice above... written by timelessglass.
    It is absolutely correct! :)

Do NOT put any ointment or cream on the rash! If you cover it with ointment/creams it will not heal.
    Rashes/Sores need open air to heal.
    Diaper rash cream/ointment is supposed to be used only as a barrier against wetness/fecal matter... only if the skin underneath is all ready intact/healthy.
    Please let baby go diaper free, use tepid water soft wash cloths, let the skin dry out completely.
    Just put extra receiving blankets under baby when sleeping and one on top to catch the pee.
    Remember disposable diapers have gels/irritants and chlorine in them so keep them off baby's broken but skin ;)
    It'll heal and then baby and mama will be happier :D
    ReneaM

Answer by ReneaM at 3:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• There is a cream sold behind the counter at rite aid......it works GREAT for my daughter while she is teething. I can't for the life of me remember what it is called just go to the pharmacy and ask if they have anything for a bad case of butt rash. It's a white tube with green lettering on it and the past is a light pink color.
    RedneckMommy88

Answer by RedneckMommy88 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2009