would you?

i have a 2month old, an 8 yr old, and a 5yr old and my husband doesn't have a very good job and we cnt make it off one in come so im going bck 2 work tomorrow and his 17 yr old cousin is going to come to my house and babysit for the rest of the summer. i cnt afford to put all 3 in daycare. she's a good kid and she has her certificate for cpr. my question is would you let a 17 yr old watch your 2month old? she has a little sister who is 1 so she has had the experience with babies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It totally depends on the teenager. I started watching a 6 month old baby when I was 11 years old. The mom paid for a babysitting/cpr/first aid class and I was very good with him. To this day...he is in middle school now...they say I was one of the best babysitters. You know the girl better than anyone else, how responsible is she? You have to decide what's best in this situation.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I agree with the 1st poster. If she's responsible and has experience, than yes I would. It's better that you know her and it's not just some kid off the street. Try her out for awhile, if something just doesn't seem right, you can always look for someone else.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 5:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• If you're nervous, try a nanny-cam to see what is going on when you're not there.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My question wouldn't be can she take care of a baby. I have a babysitter that is 19 and she's great with babies...

My question would be, can she take care of all 3 kids. You're basically making a 17 year old a mom of 3 and I know for myself, I can barely handle my 2.

It all depends on her. I would definately not count my chickens yet. She might very well be overwhelmed the first week and want to go home. Go into this as a trial run and see how she does. HAve sit down talks with her daily and ask her to be honest because youlove her and the kids somuch and need to know if this is working out.

I would install a camera. I just don't know if I could trust that a 17 year old won't break down at some point. Of course, you can always tell your 8 year old to let you know how everything is going. good luck!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 6:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I was younger than that and I was watching my sisters babies. I have always loved kids, and they survived. It is too bad that you have to jump in this. It is easier to have her watch the kids a few hours before she has to take over for an entire day. I am sure this is not the first time and I bet she can handle it, but you need to make sure that she CAN ask for help. Sometimes younger kids get nervous and don't ask for help when they need it. Also, let your kids know that they need to take it easy on her. She isn't a pro at this like you are. If there are any problems, your older kids can tell you what's going on. And of course you will be there in the afternoon, and your DH will be there sometime during the day. Good luck, and I hope all goes well.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 7:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Well Im 18 and have my own daughter...I've never 'broken down' or done anything harmful or stupid.
    My bestfriend is my age and has a 13month old son and he is also perfectly fine.
    It depends on the girl, I guess.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 7:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I don't think 17 is too young... I babysat for infants when I was 15-16. I had a babysitting certification, for whatever that was worth. If you trust her and think she can do it, she probably can.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i agree w/ the 1st poster i have 3 boys and the ages are 8,4, nd 1 my sitter is 17 and been watching my children for 3yrs now i was scared at 1st when i went back to work nd my baby was only 2 mo even tho i only work nights during the time they were sleeping she is great nd i luv her like she's a lil sis jus go slow nd everything will work out fyi i am a single parent so at least you hav your hubby good luck
    dabadstmom

Answer by dabadstmom at 8:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• If you trust her and trust your motherly instinct that she won't do anything bad to them, go for it.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2009