please let me know if you are good at budgeting... I need help!

I would like to speak with someone about why my fiance and I never have money... it seems like we should be doing okay until I have my daughter, then I will get a job and maybe we can get ahead. but til then can someone help me make a budget? thanks!

chases_mommy

Asked by chases_mommy at 5:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• We are improving. We shop for clothes mostly on holidays or special events at a low cost store like walmart. We spend $90 a week on food for a family of 3. Our car is paid off .We stick to a routineand reward ourself if we meet our weekly spending goals.(like a pretty shirt on sale for $9)
    marievegan

Answer by marievegan at 5:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• income minus expenses. How hard is that? What's left over goes into savings
    Anonymous

• Try Dave Ramsey's website...he has some awesome advice.
    www.daveramsey.com
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Live cheaply. Stay at home. Buy groceries, eat at home. Make simple meals. Buy cheap food. Eat macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, simple casseroles. Don't spend any money outside the home, eating out, movies, etc. Don't drive any more than you have to.

But, you have to make sure he is following these simple rules as well. Work, pay the rent, utilities, and save, save, save. That's about all I have, hopefully someone else can add to it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• www.daveramsey.com Also go to the library and check out the book The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. There is a group on here called Dave Ramsey Fans, you can get budget forms on there and get some really great advice.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I can help you if you'd like. I'm majoring in Personal finances, so I'm looking for some one on one experience. So it could be beneficial for both of us.

Message me if you want!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My husband, who is an accountant, helps people and small businessess with setting up budgets. If you want any ideas I can have him email you. just let me know.
    biblebowlmom

Answer by biblebowlmom at 9:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Start by writing down every penny that you spend. you will be stunned when you discover how wasteful you are.
    I have some suggestions on how you can cut expenses
    Call your cable company; they generally will offer discounts if you tell them that you are leaving; I do this annually and usually get 4 months free
    Make some of your own cleaning products; cheap and non-toxic
    stop using paper towels and napkins
    past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; or make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs.
    Replace meats with beans, lentils, seitan, etc. You can save even more by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan
    cook from scratch

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta,etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). while whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.
    frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer
    once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast
    instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls; no one will be tempted to sneak a cookie and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked
    go to the grocery store every 8 days. before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. write your list, pull any necessary coupons, eat and go.
    buy only what is on your list

Answer by rkoloms at 12:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• haha I love my budget. I'm an anal numbers person. For me the easiest is an Excel Shread Sheet. I have tried lots of sites like mint.com but it was hard to personalize and breakdown (for me). I just kept track for a couple months every single penny then grouped them into similar groups then figured out about how much I would/should spend on that group per month (ie entertainment- movies, eating out, etc). I put my planned budget in one excel sheet then had a sheet for each month. In one column was where I put how much I would spend on something then the next column would subtract what I had spent from the budget and show me as the month went on how much I could spend for the category.... Follow me? Lots of fun!!!
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 11:44 AM on Jul. 14, 2009