Why do we have so many couples getting a divorce?

marievegan

Asked by marievegan at 5:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• By WE do you mean America?

Because its too easy.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• bc they married the wrong person? bc 1 out of 2 marriages end in divorce? They didn't think marriage and what it means through before it happened? They didn't set boundaries? They had different ideas of what it meant and roles each was to play in the marriage. They only wanted the fun ceremony and party? They just wanted the gifts? They wanted to play grown up without knowing how? The list goes on
    Anonymous

• Because people forget that a marriage is work. They think it is all sunshine and daisies and the minute something goes wrong, they want a divorce. Nobody paid attention to the "For Better or Worse, For Rich or For Poor, In Sickness and in Health."
    Erised

Answer by Erised at 5:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i agree with tha PP here...no one ever pays attention to tha for better or worst part. no one ever thinks that their relationship can go sour. and once it does start gettin hot, they are ready to jump out of the fire instead of runnin thru it unscathed. what people don't realize tho is that problems happen even when ur not married...its called living LIFE.
    rastafarimama

Answer by rastafarimama at 6:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• "you're my everything" expectation, people think a spouse will fulfill ALL their basic needs, and when it doesnt turn out as planned they freak out
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I think that everyone above is right, along with a few other things:

Too many people marry souly based off of love. "I love my SO and this is going to work" Well guess what? Sometimes love is not enough. Love is not enough to pay the bills or feed your children. Too many people are so busy trying to marry their soulmate that they forget to look for a provider as well.

Our society (specifically OURS, not around the world) have so openly accepted divorce that it is no longer taboo. "Back in the day" they MADE marriage work, because that is what was expected, and divorce only happened in the most extreme situations.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I think people rush into marriage maybe to get out of the parents house or they dont want to be alone. Maybe its because they think the grass is greener on the other side and they will better themselves but when they get to the other side its all bitter. People dont have enough patience to try to work it out. There are many reasons for people getting divorced. Everyone is different and there are a lot of temptations out there waiting to grab us and destroy our marriage.
    Anonymous

• IMO........because marriage is taken way too lightly now! The woman usually has this idea in her head about the perfect wedding and they are just waiting for the guy they fall in love with to pop that damn question and the man thinks it's expected of him to pop that question if he does not want to lose the woman. That statement makes it sound as if this is a simple question to answer, but it is far from it. I am an avid people watcher and watch people VERY closely and always pay attention to their reactions. I have figured out the answer but it would take alot of explanation!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• 1 im not in love with him anymore
    2 he is a deat beat dad
    3 he can NOT even take care of his own daughter
    4 he can not even pay the bills on time
    5 he does not turn me on anymore i would rather sleep then sex
    6 he does nothing with his OWN KIDS AT ALL NOTHING
    7 we fight all the time
    8 he has said things to me that i can not forget
    9 he left job and now he is behind on child support big time
    10 he is the most selfish person i have ever meet
    11 im tired of asking for money from him and he asking what is it for like im a kid
    and no he was not always like this yes i love him at one time

that is why im geting divorce
    any ??????
    Anonymous

• I'm copy/pasting my answer from another thread about divorce. Basically, it's about being able to stay connected and taking the time to communicate.

I think it has a lot to do with the drastic change in our lifestyles, compared to 50 years ago. It used to be normal for a family to afford to have one parent working, perhaps 9-5, then coming home to his family, where they ate together, talked about their day, and maybe threw a ball around with the kids.

Now, most families have to have two working parents, who spend way more than 40 hours a week working. They commute long distances and get home late, get take out for dinner, and spend their free time on the internet or in front of the tv while the kids play video games, instead of having time as a family. How exactly does that hold a good marriage/family together? It doesn't, if they don't have the time/priority/ability to stay connected to each other.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2009