Is he too young?

My son climbed out of his crib this morning, and nearly killed himself in the process. So I went out and bought a toddler bed and set it up, but my parents are saying he is way too young for a "big boy bed"... He is 22 months old. Are they right? I gated his room so if he wakes up he can't wander the house at night, and his room is REALLY baby proof. Am I wrong to have switched him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• NOPE! he is not too young!!! My dd was 15 months when she went into her toddler bed and if he climbed out it is no longer safe IMO! She loves her toddler bed! I have books in her room only, shut the door when it's bedtime and open it when I know she's asleep. That way if she gets scared or something she can come get me!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i dont think so, i think if he can climb out already and its not safe for him, then its not FOR him anymore. My niece went to a toddler bed at like 18 months and loves her bed.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• my son is 13 months and in a little tikes toddler bed that we got him for his birthday, he loves it and sleeps all through the night just like a big boy....
    Anonymous

• Its not about being too young. You did they right thing. Once they start trying, or actually climbing out, then its time to switch. Its better then them hurting themselves. Good luck with the transition. :D
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Nope. He's ready. Sounds like it is much safer for him in the bed.I had my DD in a twin bed when she was 20 months.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 6:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• If he's crawling out, he's ready to sleep someplace safe. Safety trumps your parents' opinions anyday.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• If you decide to put him back in his crib, try this product to keep him from climbing out:

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=309775&cmSource=Search
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• It's too dangerous to put him in the crib now. We put ours in a twin bed at 15 months. All three of them. (we didn't do toddler beds because we didn't want the added expense of an extra bed)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My son climbed out of the crib at 22 months as well and we moved him to a regular bed. I also had people telling me he was too young and just to yell at him when he climbed out.. Not sure how that would have worked... It took a little adjusting but he got the hang of it and sleeps great in his bed. However, I did find that closing his door rather than gating it worked better. It seemed that if he could see out, he would.. We put a protector on the knob so he couldn't get the door open.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• my son was 13 months old when i put him in a toddler bed
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2009